• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Jerome Kerviel - In his own words

A transcript of Kerviel's interrogation by the Paris prosecutor's office, posted on the newspaper Le Monde 's Web site late on Jan. 29 and independently confirmed by BusinessWeek , offers a fascinating look into the mind of a rogue trader.

On his hiring by SocGen in 2000: "I had no illusions. I knew perfectly well that I would be less well-paid than on other desks, that I would not be paid according to market standards, but that did not lessen my motivation."

On his advancement to the Delta One trading desk in 2005: "I was aware, starting from my first meeting in 2005, that I was less well-considered than the others, as regarded my university degree and my professional and personal background. I had not come directly to the front office, but had passed through the middle office, and I was the only [trader] to have done that."

On how his rogue trading began: "My first experience in this direction was in 2005. I took a position on Allianz ( AZ ) stock, betting on a fall in the market. Soon after this, the market fell, following the [terrorist] attacks in London, and we had a jackpot of €500,000 [now about $730,000].…I had already had the idea of a 'deal' to cover my position. I had mixed feelings because I was proud of the result but surprised at the same time. That produced a desire to continue, there was a snowball effect."

On how he took secret pride in his results, even as his trading spun out of control: "As of Dec. 31, 2007, my gains had reached €1.4 billion ($2 billion), which I had not declared to the bank. At that point I had been overtaken by events and didn't know how to present this to the bank. It represented undeclared cash of €1.4 billion. No one else had ever realized such a sum, which represented 50% of the total result of the equity-index division of SocGen. I didn't know how to deal with it, I was happy and proud of myself, but I didn't know how to justify it. Thus I decided not to declare it, and to hide the sum, I created an opposite fictional operation."

On the techniques he used to hide his trading: "I furnished false documents on these operations, false e-mails. I created a false e-mail and used features of our internal e-mail system—in particular, a function that allowed me to re-use the heading of an e-mail that had been sent to me, changing the content of the message. Then I could retype the text that I wanted, and the e-mail looked just like an original."

On his belief that superiors tacitly encouraged his activity: "In July, 2007, I suggested we should bet on a fall in the market, but he [my superior] did not want to. My bet proved a winner, a cash generator.…I had taken a [trading] position anyway with the consent—or at least not contested by—my No. 1 [apparently a higher-level supervisor] who helped record the transaction.…The transaction proved fruitful, and thus it was authorized, indeed supported by the hierarchy. After that, I had to take positions every day. Even during my vacation, my manager was calling me to ask what position to take. The incentive to take positions was at a maximum."

On why he thinks his superiors knew he was exceeding authorized limits: "I can't believe that my superiors weren't aware of the sums I was trading. It's impossible to generate such profits by taking small positions. This leads me to say that, as long as my results were positive, my superiors closed their eyes to the methods and the sums involved. A trader engaging in normal activity could not generate so much cash."

On the bank's lax supervision
: "The simple fact that I didn't take days off in 2007 [he took only four days off] should have alerted the management. It's one of the primary rules of internal control: A trader who doesn't take vacation is a trader who doesn't want to let anyone else look at his book. I regularly received risk messages, alerting me that I had greatly exceeded my nominal cover. A few minutes later [during which he would create a fictitious transaction to mask the risk], a counter-message would be sent. The frequency of these alerts did not worry them. Because I was generating cash, the signals didn't worry them."

And this, my friends, is why you can't move from the back/middle office to the front office...

Kerviel will need to sell a heck lot of books to cover the fine. Wait, since it's impossible, he may not bother at all.

PARIS—A Paris court sentenced former Société Générale trader Jérôme Kerviel to three years in prison for his role in one of the largest trading scandals in history and ordered him to repay the €4.9 billion ($6.69 billion) loss suffered by the French bank.
The verdict, which Mr. Kerviel's lawyer said he would appeal, lays the entire blame of the January 2008 trading debacle on the 33-year-old, dismissing his argument that SocGen had turned a blind eye to years of unauthorized trades—including one bet that topped €50 billion.

Former Socime Kerviel Convicted of Trading Fraud - WSJ.com

I have gone on the record before to say that I believe Kerviel when he says that his managers knew what was going on. I am not saying he is an angel, but he has been sacrificed by the French state to protect one of their 'national champions'.

I am more convinced by the timescale rather than the amount.
With computers you can quickly do a lot of damage, but...
He did this over a much larger timescale, and it's just implausible that this volume was sloshing through without someone noticing.

Traders watch P&L really quite closely, no bank has a a system that they are really satisfied by the speed, they want to know where they are now.

Also, there was serious P&L, the traders would have been jostling to make sure they got some of the credit during the period when things were going well. Kerviel was a junior, and my expectation is that he would have been 'helped', ie when he was making money, been elbowed out by a more powerful guy who would then have got the bonus.

There are insurance and regulatory issues that mean the French state wants it to be a 'rogue trader' not a bank where senior traders can run up appallingly large positions, where limits are broken with impunity, where IT security is laughable, and most of all where all this could have happened and there be no way to work out who really did it.

This reads like I'm part of Kerviel's defence team, and although I feel they did not do a very good job, I believe he's guilty, but I am not naive enough to believe he acted alone. I don't believe the court was naive, but sophisticated, and corrupt.

Back