• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Just got laid off

Hey guys,

I just recently got laid off from a prop trading firm after about a year so one career path I am considering is going for a MFE. Is it too late to apply? I've looked briefly into the programs, and for example NYU has an application deadline of 2/8. I've taken the GRE already so that's not an issue, but I was wondering if the application itself and the recommendations will take too much time.

Also, here are my stats so that you guys can point me to programs that I might get into:

B.S. Statistics at Ivy League school, GPA 3.5
GRE Verbal: 163
GRE Math: 170
GRE Writing: 4.0
Recommendations could be a little shaky - don't really know who to ask

I only just learned about these MFE programs and this site, so any advice or anything you could point me to would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am looking for new jobs as well but from what I hear it's not very easy right now, so I'd like to pursue MFE as well as a backup.

Yes, it is one of the risks I knew I was getting into. Does anyone have any advice on my situation in regards to MFE programs??

I am planning to look at other programs too, NYU just seemed to be the closest deadline. Are there a lot of good schools that are still accepting applications with ample time for me to prepare? I'm definitely looking to start this year as opposed to next year.

I saw that link already - I guess my question is which ones can I realistically apply to? Is my academic profile, including my recommendations, good enough to have a good shot to any of those schools? (The tracker seems to suggest so but i don't know how important recommendations are). Also, how long would it take to put together a good application so that I would have a good shot? Thanks

Back