• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Just started my Msc.Finance . Which programming language do I learn ?

Hi all ,

Hope you guys are doing well . I just started out my Msc.finance program last month and during the class our prof. said that we would need to learn either python , r or matlab so that we can do indepth research or analysis on time series or fundamental factors for our final year thesis .
The issue is I dont know how to program , I am form the M&A background , but I am intrested in algo trading and creating strategies (love pair trading) .
So , I wanted views of experienced quants and students on the forum to kindly guide me regarding this . Which language would be easy for me to learn and in which of these languages backtesting and optimizing stratergies would be easier ?

Looking forward to a reply ,
Lost

P.S: if you could guide me to websites which teach codeing for finance or any lecture series online would be helpful

Hi

I would recommend using Python over all others.

Many advantages as a language for execution where R fails:

1. Parallelization and huge computational power of Python trading give scalability to the portfolio.
  2. Algorithmic trading python makes it easier to write and evaluate algo trading structures because of its functional programming approach. The code can be easily extended to dynamic algorithms for trading. Python can be used to develop some great trading platforms where using C or C++ is a hassle and time-consuming job. Trading with Python is an ideal choice for people who want to become pioneers with dynamic algo trading platforms.
  3. For individuals new to algorithmic trading, python code is easily readable and accessible. So, if you are stepping into the world of algorithmic trading then QuantInsti’s executive programme will help you implement your strategies in live environment through Python trading platforms.
  4. It is comparatively easier to fix new modules to Python language and make it expansive. The existing modules also make it easier for algo traders to share functionality amongst different programs by decomposing them into individual modules which can be applied to various trading architectures.
  5. When using Python for trading it requires fewer lines of code due to the availability of extensive libraries. Quant traders can skip various steps which other languages like C or C++ might require. This brings down the overall cost of maintaining the trading system.
  6. With wide range of scientific libraries in Python, algorithmic traders can perform any kind of data analysis at an execution speed that is comparable to compiled languages like C++.
Getting Started is easy:

Many free resources/platforms to get started immediately: Quantopian, Datacamp, Udemy courses to name a few.

All the best!

Matlab is not open source, so python or R. R is even more geared towards non-programmers than Python, so I would go for R in your situation. Eventhough overall Python is the better choice as it is more versatile.

You could check out various online courses like Udemy, or Coursera, although you could also give a try to Quantra for their course on Python.

R is not a programming language as such. In that sense it won't really help you to become a skilled programmer. Nor will Python although it has useful libraries (written in C, C++, Fortran).

Maybe Python and C++ does no harm.

R is not a programming language as such. In that sense it won't really help you to become a skilled programmer. Nor will Python although it has useful libraries (written in C, C++, Fortran).

Maybe Python and C++ does no harm.
IMHO, R is a programming language but we can probably call it a Domain Specific Language a-la SQL although you can do more things with R now a days.
Since this person is in this forum, I don't think he/she wants to code for a living but work in finance.

IMHO, R is a programming language but we can probably call it a Domain Specific Language a-la SQL although you can do more things with R now a days.
Since this person is in this forum, I don't think he/she wants to code for a living but work in finance.

Strange remark. Anecdotally, quants (even famous ones) spend [60,80]% of their time programming.
R - like SQL - is more like a software tool.

Computer languages are created by humans who are shaped by their environment.

No two languages are ever sufficiently similar to be considered as representing the same social reality. The worlds in which different societies live are distinct worlds, not merely the same world with different labels attached.
Edward Sapir

So, knowing SQL or R won't help you much in learning other languages but C++ will. It depends on what you want.

Last edited:
if you could guide me to websites which teach coding for finance or any lecture series online would be helpful

e.g. Quantnet C++ course.

Last edited:
Back