• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Kent State MFE program

hey everyone. i was wondering if anyone could tell me about the kent state mfe program. the information on the website comes off as a little sketchy. it doesn't mention specific salary of kent state grads just mfe grads in general. also it says 100 percent of alumni were employed like 6 months after, but it doesnt say if they all took jobs in finance or not. the things i like about the program are a guaranteed internship and the fact that it is so close to my home. i realize it may not lead to a job on wall street (my dream), but i would settle for a job in the cleveland area (my hometown). basically i just want to know what you guys think

my impression of the Kent program is ok, but not great. I worked with a guy who went through their program and he was pretty good, but he could have just been smart. Take a look at Quantnet's ranking:

http://www.quantnet.com/mfe-programs-rankings/

I would HIGHLY doubt 100% placement with Financial firms and the fact that they don't go into details tells me they are leaving data out on purpose. Compare to Berkeley's website, they have downloadable reports with extreme detail:

http://mfe.berkeley.edu/careers/placement.html

my impression of the Kent program is ok, but not great. I worked with a guy who went through their program and he was pretty good, but he could have just been smart. Take a look at Quantnet's ranking:

http://www.quantnet.com/mfe-programs-rankings/

I would HIGHLY doubt 100% placement with Financial firms and the fact that they don't go into details tells me they are leaving data out on purpose. Compare to Berkeley's website, they have downloadable reports with extreme detail:

http://mfe.berkeley.edu/careers/placement.html

where did you work with this guy. a financial firm?

Ok this could be a total coincidence but I have a funny memory that processes words in chunks. I noticed something weird on their FAQ page. Cross check it against Berkeley's (or UCLA) and you find they used the same chunk of words in several places,

"A strong quantitative background including linear algebra, multivariate calculus, differential equations, numerical analysis and advanced statistics and probability"

"familiarity with computers as a computational and management tool"

"econometric applications"

"mathematical tools"

Call me crazy but I see something weird here. Also, while numerical analysis is mentioned in the sentence I just listed, if you scroll a bit down it is not even listed in the suggested prerequisite courses.

Of course, while they might be able to copy parts of other programs admission pages, I highly doubt they are able to copy an entire curriculum, and therefore doubt that both programs are of the same caliber ;)

There is no coincidence about having an identical long sentence of math words :)
And good attention to details, Anbu
Thanks Andy :),
It's a gift....and a curse. Now can anyone guess where I copied that phrase from? (without google)

I know an alum from that program who is now working at the CME. I believe he worked in Key Bank in Cleveland for a while before that.

I graduated from the program in August 2010. My background prior to starting the program consisted of a finance degree from the University of Florida and a year spent studying mostly mathematics and physics at Bowling Green State University to increase my mathematical background.

All students take the same courses in lock-step. The first semester consisted of a general financial theory class with some economics thrown in to the mix, a numerical methods class, a highly rigorous course on probablity theory and stochastic calculus, and the first of a series of two classes on general derivatives theory. The second semester consisted of a class on stochastic calculus (picks up where the first semester stochastic class left off), a fixed income class, a Monte Carlo workshop, a time series class, and the second derivatives class (focuses largely on exotics).

The main programming language is Matlab, though we had a lecture on using R. I also wrote my final Monte Carlo workshop project in C (avoided C++ because I was required to explain how all the code worked and the professor did not seem familiar with C or C++, and I didn't want to have to explain the intricacies of object-oriented code).

During the summer, I did have a paid internship in Chicago at HTG Capital Partners. I worked for a small group of traders reviewing the feasibility of any trading idea they felt like throwing at me. Overall, I would rate the program as worth the money. My only issue is that a lot of people I have spoken with are not familiar with the program unless they have had direct contact with the program.

Finding a job right out of the program was incredibly easy given the state of the economy at the time I graduated. With that said, I did have a little bit of help because I went back to a former employer, although it was in an entirely different capacity.

Back