• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Kind of another "what are my chances," kind of not

Sky

I just took the GRE yesterday, and I was blown away by the difficulty of the math questions on the test. I had prepared for an entire year, and I made a concerted effort to do "hard" GRE math problems, but the amount of time it took to solve the "hard" math GRE problems that I saw was ridiculous (on the order of 2 - 3 minutes per problem). So, I was not pleased with my quant score of 770 (I got a 650 verbal).

Given that Baruch's average for quant last year was 794, I don't think I would stand a chance there (or at any other top-rated school). Or would I?....

I don't have any work-related experience in the financial industry, and I have a pretty unique educational background. I have 4 degrees from a low-rated undergrad school (2 engineering technology, applied mathematics, and physics), so I know that I can handle the math and the programming expectation of top-rated finance programs, but I only have a minor in economics, and I have only taken one official "finance" course in that minor. However, I have been doing a lot of self-study in finance to bring myself up to speed.

So, given that my quant score was not optimal, and given that I have a weird educational background and no finance experience in the industry, would I actually be considered a candidate for a school like Baruch? Or, should I not even waste my time and money (I need to start sending out letters of recommendation requests soon, so I need them to be tailored for the field I go into). Thanks!

thats a very respectable score for any phd program if you have research experience. Lower scores go to top 5 phd programs, but thats different than MFE.

So, are you saying that I should look into doing a PhD instead of an MFE?

Not saying either, that totally depends on you and if you want to invest 5-7 years in a subject your really interested in. Just saying its an option if you have research experience. worth applying to both and then pick the better option.

A math PhD program of any type may want you to take the GRE Math Subject test.

770 is not that bad. I heard that Baruch closely study the record of each student applying. So you still have a chance if you prove them that you really are interested in finance (read some books, try to go to some conferences also maybe) and that you know exactly what you want to do with their MFE (what kind of position do you want ?). Also, you have 4 degrees. 4 ! It's far from bad!! I think that you can use that as a strength in your application.

This is just my opinion :)

PS : Little info : 794 is Baruch AVERAGE maths GRE. I'm pretty sure that they have one or two students who had maths scores like yours :)

We evaluate an application in its entirety. We admitted people with GRE Quant scores of 750 or 760 every year in the past four years; see GRE Scores for Admitted Students – Detailed Statistics at
http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/admission-stats/

However, the median GRE Quant scores of admitted students was 800.

Thanks for all the information! I think I will go ahead and apply to Baruch, still. When does the 2012-2013 application begin? Also, when are decisions made by?

Thanks for all the information! I think I will go ahead and apply to Baruch, still. When does the 2012-2013 application begin? Also, when are decisions made by?

Online application begins in October, deadline is 4/1/2012. Acceptance is on a rolling basis (beginning in December, I believe). I suggest you retake it and try to get 800....

Oh right. The new scoring is whacky.

Back