Laptop Recommendation for Financial engineering grad student

AppliedMath

Get something from Amazon for under $600. Minimum 4GB of RAM and a non-integrated video card and you're set. You will not crunch tons of data period. Don't burn through your budget. It's fine to have a computer that allows you to make some coffee while you run grid search on an ANN. It's a grad program. Any heavy-lifting will be in a lab, and almost nothing in class will be process intense.

Here's one example: Amazon.com: HP 14" Touchscreen Home and Business Laptop Ryzen 3-3200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD, Dual-Core up to 3.50 GHz, Vega 3 Graphics, RJ-45, USB-C, 4K Output HDMI, Bluetooth, Webcam, 1366x768, Win 10: hp: Computers & Accessories

Mac is a waste of money. Lenovo will break on you.

Rokrh

If anyone is still reading, try ASUS TUF Gaming A15. I am gonna order it soon. The configuration I will be going for is Ryzen 7 4800H,16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD and graphics card RTX2060 6Gb. I am getting it for 97,900 Rubles. This is around $1271.

I see a better configuration of the same product on Amazon. Amazon.com: ASUS TUF VR Ready Gaming Laptop, 15.6" IPS FHD, AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-Core up to 4.20 GHz, NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, RGB Backlit KB, RJ-45 Ethernet, Win 10: Computers & Accessories

ExSan

I would go for Lenovo and the latest INTEL TIGER LAKE, hopefully this will be launched this month. What do you think?

Last edited:

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
ExSan, On a desktop for me,is 64Gb >> 128 Gb memory is better?
And 16 cores?

I'm not exactly sure about GPUs .. one thing is I am not prepared to use is C++ dialects on the GPU.

Last edited:

ExSan

ExSan, On a desktop for me,is 64Gb >> 128 Gb memory is better?
And 16 cores?

I'm not exactly sure about GPUs .. one thing is I am not prepared to use is C++ dialects on the GPU.
I was wondering how does an excecutable program use the cores of the CPU.

Lets say I have two execuatables programA.exe and programB.exe and I launch them at the same time, both of them have been coded to last for let's say 10 min, dummy for loops, do they use a single core? multiple core??? is there an instruction in C/C++ to hook an excecutable to a core in order not to share it with other programs and cope all of its atention to the loaded/runing program?

I have no idea how the CPU handles C/C++ executables.

My platform ExSan uses Dinamic Memory Allocation, so for my purposes the best is DDR5(even better DDR6). I do not care much about hard disk/SSD

Last edited:

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
The tasking library (PPL, TBB, Actor model) usually has a Scheduler which does all that load-balancing stuff for you.