• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Laptops in 2017

Thinkpad was legendary before when it was still under IBM. I got one of the T60 when I did my MFE but been using Macbook Pro the last few years.
Scary how I remember this from my thread 5 years ago!

Hello All,

I would like to know which laptop/config should be ideal/good for the quant coursework (MFE/MQF) at graduate school.
It should be economical (As I can not afford astronomical prices during studies :P), sturdy & fast enough to handle the simulations and heavy calculations.

Thanks,

Do you mind large/heavy?

I can tell you from my FE experience that the single most frustrating issue was using a tiny monitor while trying to code/debug. Eve if you are like me and like small/light laptops I encourage you to go with 15"+ for MFE. Aside from that I would caution you the following:

1. At least an i5
2. 8GB RAM is usually sufficient. Not less
3. Dedicated graphics is a luxury and expensive but for hard core coding might be a nice addition
4. SSD is fun and boots your PC much quicker but for FE purposes is unnecessary (if you are trying to save)

Pretty much just grab the cheapest laptop on the market that satisfies these requirements and you should be good to go.

Anyone else see anything I missed?

Do you mind large/heavy?

I can tell you from my FE experience that the single most frustrating issue was using a tiny monitor while trying to code/debug. Eve if you are like me and like small/light laptops I encourage you to go with 15"+ for MFE. Aside from that I would caution you the following:

1. At least an i5
3. Dedicated graphics is a luxury and expensive but for hard core coding might be a nice addition
4. SSD is fun and boots your PC much quicker but for FE purposes is unnecessary (if you are trying to save)

Pretty much just grab the cheapest laptop on the market that satisfies these requirements and you should be good to go.

large and heavy is the way to go! i hate doing hw in mac...

Do you mind large/heavy?

1. At least an i5

Thank you for the details, would go for 15'' + display, as i am not so fond of smaller screen sizes. Rest of the configs, would keep in mind while buying.
Thanks again.

I would be joining Columbia MAFN this fall and would like to know if buying Macbook Pro would be a good option.

Thanks.

But again; are you going to be comfortable coding on a 13" laptop?
yes.

What is your opinion on the new 2-1 like the Microsoft Surface Pro? I think Dell and HP also have similar offers.

I'm the wrong guy for these toys. The 5285, Surface, etc. I've tried coding and in general working on spreadsheets on these and the feel just wasn't right. The keyboards aren't as solid as a real laptop and for a program such as FE I think that should be a deal-breaker.

When I used a convertible in the FE program it was an old IBM flip laptop that had an awesome keyboard. These removable ones just don't do it for me. That being said; I have never owned one of these long enough to make a very accurate and unbiased assessment, so best ask someone else.

Two other small points:

1. I see the 5285 is a "U" processor. Does that still stand for "Ultra low voltage"? If so you might want to take care, those tend not to preform so well in heavy CPU applications (gaming, programming, etc.)

2. I like laptops to be customizable so I can upgrade the ram, HD, etc. I doubt if these tablet machines are. I don't know for sure but it is something you might want to check.

P.S. If you are going for a writing tablet you might want to check the pen technology. Back when I followed those tables, Wacom was king and N-Trig was a wannabe. N-Trig was the Surface technology and it was less than desirable to write with. I had many Wacom tables and loved them all.

Do you mind large/heavy?

1. At least an i5

Agree except #1. I don't think it makes that much of a difference visàvis an i3. difference is tiny compared to choices you make in your coding, imo. I would put more emphasis on #4 instead. Day in day out you will have less of these tiny wasteful moment where your harddisk needs to search.

I would like to know from a person who had more than 100 laptops, what is the best gaming laptop for today?
Well that's a loaded question...

1. Does weight matter?
2. Does price matter?
3. Screen size?
4. For which games?

I found most people interested in entry to mid level gaming are usually very happy with the Gigabyte laptops I have recommended in the past (Alienware/Razer like specs, don't pay for name or flair). However, the company has become a bit more popular recently and the prices have adjusted accordingly.

Back