• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Learning C#

Hi guys,

I am a hobbyist programmer. I have a finance background but love programming. I have started to learn C#. Visual C# eases and one can quickly write some simple windows applications..which would take several months to a year to do so in C++ and other language..I tried C++ but took lot longer to develop simple windows applications..So am going for C#..Any thoughts and inputs on this from experienced folks will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Which version of C++ are you using? I played a little with the visual studio to build GUIs, and it seems extremely easy once you get the hang of it. I can't imagine the C# is meaningfully different, especially if you're in VS.

Thanks Doug,

Learning to program in C# seems to be much easier.. I even tried Python..which is a great language..and it should get wide recognition soon.But since, Microsoft has a dominant market share in terms of software market..learning their language shouldn't be a bad idea..C# might be slow compared to C++ but must be able to perform as much as C++.

Use the right tool for the right job (Alain's quote, not mine).
If you want WF applications, then C# is the perfect tool. MS keeps coming up with new products like WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and .NET will keep you at the forefront.
C++ would be a good choice for number crunching. You can use it across languages such as C++/dll in Excel.
As I work more in C#, I tend to use it more than C++. If there are any lack of performance in C# compared to C++, it's your program, not the language itself ;)
If you already know C++, going to C# is not difficult at all. One of the best ways to learn C# is to download countless example code online and make change to it.

Sorry guys. I know this is mainly a C thread but could anyone explain how to program the .m files for a GUI in MATLAB. Thanks.

Use the right tool for the right job (Alain's quote, not mine).
If you want WF applications, then C# is the perfect tool. MS keeps coming up with new products like WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and .NET will keep you at the forefront.
C++ would be a good choice for number crunching. You can use it across languages such as C++/dll in Excel.
As I work more in C#, I tend to use it more than C++. If there are any lack of performance in C# compared to C++, it's your program, not the language itself ;)
If you already know C++, going to C# is not difficult at all. One of the best ways to learn C# is to download countless example code online and make change to it.

Hi Andy,

Where can I download countless example code for learning C#?
Thanks,

Back