• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Lenovo T420

Really tempted by this machine. It got prefect specs for my need and look rock solid! this would be my first thinkpad so want to get some idea from people from quant industry

This is one point that I want to try thinkpad: its toughness. Don't need to worry about my machine anymore when carry it around

I am thinking of getting the X220t tablet. It is a bit on the pricey side but I like the touch/pen.

We (as my family and I) have had 2 Lenovo tablets, an X61 Tablet and an X201t with extended batteries.

We have had the X61 Tablet since around 2007. It was a little slower than the rest of the laptops (not tablets) with the same specs but it worked great. The best thing was the 4:3 display with 1400x1050 on a 12''. This display is not built anymore. It was very comfortable to work with and I used it to code and to take notes. Overall, it's a great machine. It's solid too. My brother was using it everyday until recently. Now his business partner is using it and they love it. They are Dr. and they use it to fill charts and write notes when meeting patients.

My brother has a X201t now. He likes it a lot as well. As you can imagine it's way faster, very snappy and responsive. He complains about the resolution though. The display doesn't have as much real estate. That's his only complaint. It is a little ligther than the X61 Tablet even with the extended battery.

Both pen interfaces are WACOM. They are very very good, very precise after calibration. These are resistive tecnology. Very different from touch screen phones. Resistive technology has some quirks but, IMHO, it's more precise than capacitive technology. Taking notes on a resistive technology is a pleasure. OTOH, notetaking on a capacitive screen is a PIA.

My brother has a X220t now. He likes it a lot as well. As you can imagine it's way faster, very snappy and responsive. He complains about the resolution though. The display doesn't have as much real estate. That's his only complaint. It is a little ligther than the X61 Tablet even with the extended battery.

Thanks! How did your brother get the X220t early? I think it is coming out next week or so, according to Lenovo.

HAHAHA oops... it is an X201 tablet whatever came after X61 Tablet.

i just got the new x120e 11 incher. my first thinkpad, gotta say it is NICEE. I got the x120e because it will be light and adequate enough for my needs. I already have a nice desktop at home so the thinkpad won't be my main computer(though i use the x120e way more than the desktop now). it is cheap, and powerful enough to do pretty much anything you throw at it.

Actually fell in love with the touchpoint now too.

ooooooooooooooooooo my gawd...

i do not need another tp. i do not need another tp. i do not need another tp...

baaaah i hate you andy

Back