• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Less Sexy Areas of Quantitative Finance

What are the differences between quants involved in markets and quants involved in capital, credit risk, or other less spoken areas of quantitative finance? Are skills sets different? Are they both “quants” in the colloquial sense of the word? Could a career in capital easily lead to a career in markets and vice versa? What other differences between these two career areas are important to know?

It's hard to go from the "less sexy" areas to desk quant. Markets teams assume that the reason someone is working in risk/funding/non-desk is because the person couldn't land the desk quant job that is more competitive and more lucrative.

It's hard to go from the "less sexy" areas to desk quant. Markets teams assume that the reason someone is working in risk/funding/non-desk is because the person couldn't land the desk quant job that is more competitive and more lucrative.
I respectfully disagree. They are generally two different species, but I've also seen desk quants switch to risk models when the skills were needed.

Hi, Ken. Sure, I'm just saying that desk quants are likely to discount non-desk quants at face value when evaluating resumes. I see it all the time.

Peter

Back