• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Organization of quantitative finance careers. Risks vs portfolio management vs automated trading

Hi all,

I am preparing myself as a student for a future career in quantitative finance. However, one problem is that I don't know how the career is organized. From time to time, I have heard a lot about front office, back office, model testing, and also risks, portfolio management versus trading. I can distinguish that they are different but still don't have a clear picture. Actually, it seems to me that risks, portfolio and trading are all the same since you have to optimize your portfolio by reducing risk in order to trade.

So, can I anyone please describe my how the jobs are organize in term of positions (front office vs back office; desks...) and fields (risks, derivative, PM, trading, ...). Also, what are they and how are they different?

Hi all,

I am preparing myself as a student for a future career in quantitative finance. However, one problem is that I don't know how the career is organized. From time to time, I have heard a lot about front office, back office, model testing, and also risks, portfolio management versus trading. I can distinguish that they are different but still don't have a clear picture. Actually, it seems to me that risks, portfolio and trading are all the same since you have to optimize your portfolio by reducing risk in order to trade.

So, can I anyone please describe my how the jobs are organize in term of positions (front office vs back office; desks...) and fields (risks, derivative, PM, trading, ...). Also, what are they and how are they different?

You can try this link as well - http://www.quantstart.com/articles/What-are-the-Different-Types-of-Quantitative-Analysts I too am a novice in this field and found the article to be a useful one.

Back