• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Level of math in a quant job

Hello

I am actually preparing an master degree in stats in France (CNAM Institute to be precise)

I am really interested in it, Maths is my passion.

I am studying basic stats modelling, econometrics, ODE, SDE, algebra, analysis, with some advanced subjects as Monte Carlo, Markowitz models, and so on.

But everybody around me is repeating that I am loosing my time, that everything is computerized now.

Is enybody here can tell if it is realistic to get a quant job with 90% of knowledge and experience in Matlab and stats and only 10% in terme of coding.

Should I try a computer science degree instead ?

Thanks for those that work actually in London and/or Paris to help me on these point and excuse my english.

Best regards.

Hi everyone,

as i said i am studying PhD in Applied math, but let me specify that my area is numerical analysis. I do code things in c++ to solve PDEs , analyze numerical methods, etc . In this area it's completely necessary to have both skills, math and programming. I have two years left to graduate and i am starting to plan what i am going to do when i finish, since i believe Academia is not for me. That's why i become really interested in quant jobs. I posted all these questions to make sure if i could be comfortable applying my skills in a job in finance. After reading all your answers, i am confident that there are still quants job for more my profile (math & progamming)

Most things in life are interesting. Complexity isn't a prerequisite. Occam's razor, baby.

I never really understood that phrase. Does it work outside the fields of logic or of theology?

It works everywhere. Simplicity is efficiency, and nature is efficient.

Back