• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Looking for direction

Hello,

I currently work on the buy-side as a software engineer on a Macro quant desk (not exactly a quant dev, but work hand in hand with them). I would like to eventually become a Quant Trader and/or portfolio manager, and I have experience as a prop trader (have my Finra licenses as well).

My firm has a decent path to self-development, especially after one year. We have roles such as execution traders, flow traders, and quant traders.

I am skilled in Python, SQL, cloud engineering, and everything that would be standard in DevOps, and software engineering.

Does getting a CFA/MS in FinEng make sense in order for me to make that jump onto an actual trading desk... or does honing my programming skills and perhaps adding C++ make more sense?

Thanks for any insight or help.

How's your math, quant finance, product knowledge, and business knowledge? Seems on the programming and engineering side you are in good shape.
product domain and business is a strong area. math would be an area i always feel inferior. programming and engineering is fine.

the math situation is something i feel like i lack, but i wonder if im just not cut out for it, or if getting an MS would bolster my lack of knowledge

IMO you are in a good position to try out the work that you feel like you want to do before heavily investing in it by going through a college education. What I mean is, if possible, try and interact with the desk members as much as possible to find out what sort of work they do. Ask around if it's possible to move to a role at the desk or where you are working directly with the desk. If not, perhaps check out other desks at your buyside firm if possible. Try to gauge the pre-requisite skills rquired to be good at those sort of roles. Usually firms are quite open to people moving internally if they express interest and can back it up with capability.
If this works out, you get to work in a desk based role for a while and are in a much better position to decide where you want to go next.
This approach might not be possible always, but just make sure you exhaust these possibilities before committing to leaving your job and going for a MFE.

On CFA, I feel like you can register for the exam if you are interested in finance. I have given L1 and I really liked the breadth of the course. Also check with your firm whether they reimburse CFA costs or not. Quite a few firms do.

Back