• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

LSE smashes world record trade speed with Linux

Interesting.

The London Stock Exchange has said its new Linux-based system is delivering world record networking speed, with 126 microsecond trading times.

The news comes ahead a major Linux-based switchover in twelve days, during which the open source system will replace Microsoft .Net technology on the group’s main stock exchange. The LSE had long been criticised on speed and reliability, grappling with trading speeds of several hundred microseconds.
Read: LSE smashes world record trade speed with Linux

I'm not sure this is true.

I believe that their tests show this, but my information is that the system hasn't gone live yet, and there is a big difference between simulated loads and real ones.

The largely .NET system is obviously going to be slower than the C/C++ one built by Sri lankans.

But, when you optimise for speed you can end up trading reliability for lower latency.

Come the middle of November, we shall see.

So, to see the performance improvement they replaced outdated SQL Server 2000 and managed apps on Windows server 2003 with brand new server and native apps. Hmm ... I wonder, did they run benchmarks with Oracle 8th version as database on backend? ;)

Back