• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Macro Level Questions

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and just wanted to get a question or two out there. So here it is:

I have a masters in quantitative analytics, studied applied statistics and data analysis in undergrad, and currently work as a modeler for an automotive finance company. I primarily work in SAS but know other programming languages such as R.

I want to get into trading, but as a personal hobby with my own funds. I have no intention of gaining experience/furthering my education to do it professionally. Seeing as I build models at work, I am thinking the basic theory may translate well.

So my question: is this a realistic route to trading with limited financial funds? Do many people actually do this as a method of managing personal finance outside of a full time career?

I see there are a lot of resources on here; I just wanted to get some feedback before I jump in.

Thanks in advance!

Chelsey

You're competing against seasoned professionals who have more experience, knowledge, time, technology, data, manpower, and economics (better brokerage / exchange fees etc).

As such, I don't think it's a wise use of your time, long term. By all means check out some of the free data sources out there, apply your skills, and see if you find anything. The minute you start trying to trade for real, you run into innumerable headaches and extra assumptions. At that point it stops being just a hobby.

For reference, I am one of those professionals. I consider it a waste of my time to use my skills to trade a personal account, because I lose so many of the advantages I have at work.

Back