• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Graduate Programs questions

Hello,

I would like to apply to quant graduate programs, to work in QR later.
I am from CS at EPFL and have a 5.35/6 GPA, and am on an ECE exchange at CMU, taking CS-courses, with 4.0/4.0 GPA so far.
I have taken multiple math classes, that cover probability, statistics, calculus, ODES, PDES, algebra, etc.
I don't have relevant work experience, internships, prizes, or education about finance.
I am aiming at top university programs but am not sure if it is realistic or not.
I know I am already admitted to the EPFL MSFE and the ETHZ MSQF, but I would like to work in the USA, so am I right thinking I should attend a US university ?

1) Where would you apply if you were me ?
2) Do I have realistic chances of being admitted in top programs, such as CMU, Baruch or Columbia ?
3) What courses do you think I should take next semester ? Finance, Math or CS courses ? That's even better if you have a specific suggestion

Thank you so much.

CS at CMU is pretty good qualification. Your math background is strong.
Do an internship to know whether finance is suitable for you. That's what I'm doing. I'm a quant developer intern. Just graduated. I'm planning to work here for around a year, and then apply to QF masters programs. Any internship or FT role, as long as its finance related is minimum in my opinion. Preferably quant roles. Thats something the top programs do look at. I mean, its not clear why would you want to do QR as a career in the first place, when you have presumably zero finance background or knowledge. Wouldn't they be asking that? I feel like they would.
I would suggest a ML course. Because its very relevant to quant finance nowadays (atleast in my role).
Good luck!

2) Do I have realistic chances of being admitted in top programs, such as CMU, Baruch or Columbia ?
3) What courses do you think I should take next semester ? Finance, Math or CS courses ? That's even better if you have a specific suggestion

Thank you so much.
2) Why not? If you aim for the top, you need to prepare now.
3) I think programming would be the next area you need to address. Take the C++ course we have here and preferably the Python course right after it. It will prime you nicely for internship interviews, etc.
And don't forget about the Options course that is created by Prof. Stefanica. It will provide you with crucial finance intuition that you need to succeed in these programs. The top programs will interview you during admission and they assume you know the basic options theory which is covered in this course.
Good luck.

Back