• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Making Pull to Par (theta) exponential

Hi,

Sorry if this a stupid question, but it has being troubling me for some days.

If I have the current MV of a bond and the current coupon rate and maturity how can I forecast an exponential Pull to Par.

I have sort of found a method for basic periodic coupons, using the IRR. (Please see the first sheet of the attached file and below) where the previous value is multiplied by 1+IRR less the coupon - very rudimentary but I am just after any kind of function that will give a exponential increase from T0 MV to Tn PAR.

As I want to use standardised buckets for my Pull to Par (IE ON, 1W, 2W, 1M, 2M, 3M....... 20Y 30Y 40Y) I have non periodic cashflows and so using the excell IRR function is a non starter, so I have tried using XIRR, unfortunately however I manipulate the formula I cannot arrive back at PAR (please see second sheet of attached workbook)

So my question has two parts

1) how do I get the the XIRR excell function to return PAR at maturity.

2) Is this the best method given that I just want something simple on excel (Could use VBA, as I have a small amount programming ability (really small)) and it is to be part of a workbook that analyses bonds in a number of ways.

Thanks for reading and sorry if it is a dumb question

Dan
Notional1210to-500Coupon5.00%t160.5MV500t260.5t360.5t41270.5IRR33.85159%to500t1608.75794t2754.33217t3949.1856t41210

Attachments

• PtP Example.xls
    19 KB · Views: 69
Back