• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Managing the Pre-MFE, the C++ seminar and the GRE (with a full-time job)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so I'll start with a quick background about myself before posting my question. I got my MS in Electrical Engineering from NJIT (GPA = 3.75) and for the last five years I have been working as a Software Developer (primarily in C#) building front-middle-back office applications for various Hedge Funds in NYC. I plan to apply for Baruch's Fall 2014 MFE full-time program. I recently got admitted into the Advanced Calculus and Probability pre-MFE seminars for 2013.

I have started brushing up on my calculus and probability fundamentals for the upcoming seminars. And I also plan to apply for the Numerical Linear Algebra seminar scheduled from January-March 2014. I will do my best to pass these three seminars which should make me more confident when I put my application in.

Amid the preparation needed for these seminars, I plan to take my GRE and the C++ certification offered by Baruch and hopefully do well in all of them and prepare and submit my entire application towards the end of March.

1) Am I trying to cram a lot of things over the next 6-7 months or is this doable?

2) When would be a good time to schedule my GRE and register for the C++ certification given I'll be taking the Advanced Calc and Probability seminars from Sep-Nov and Oct-Dec 2013 respectively?

Please note that I will be doing all of this with a full-time job, though I will be applying for the full-time MFE program. And obviously if I get admitted, I will be going back to school full-time.

Apologies for such a long post but hopefully you guys can shed some light on how I should tread over the next few months to be able to submit the application in time for Baruch and hopefully get a favorable outcome. Any/all suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks !

-Pavan

Hey Pavan, welcome to the club :)

The seminars, while difficult, are spread one class a week so even with a full time job they are quite manageable. GRE score is obviously crucial, but if you have an MS engineering degree I doubt you'll have much trouble at all acing it. If you do wish to study, pick up a Nova guide and study slowly for the next few months. Make sure to take your GRE at least a month before the Baruch deadline so that you can retake in event of a less-than-MFE-average score.

All in all, study slowly for the GREs, ace them, and most importantly do well in the seminars. Students get accepted to Baruch every year from the seminar but you must get Distinction in the courses; not just pass.

Good luck!

Hey Pavan, welcome to the club :)
All in all, study slowly for the GREs, ace them, and most importantly do well in the seminars. Students get accepted to Baruch every year from the seminar but you must get Distinction in the courses; not just pass.

A good performance in the seminar (but not necessarily Distinction) is very helpful in order to be invited to interview. After that, what you learned in the seminars should be helpful in having a successful interview. Good luck!

Back