• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE The 2013-2014 Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College
September 2013 - March 2014

The Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College offers a Pre-MFE Program for people interested in pursuing graduate studies in financial engineering, as well as for finance practitioners interested in studying the mathematical fundamentals behind financial models.

The Pre-MFE Program consists of three on-site seminars and one online seminar:
  • Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications (on-site)
  • Probability Theory for Financial Applications (on-site)
  • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering (on-site)
  • C++ Programming for Financial Engineering (online)
The 2012-2013 on-site seminars in the Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College will be offered on a September 2013 - March 2014 schedule. Enrollment in each seminar is limited to 40 people.
Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found here.

Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
Dates: September 17 – November 19, 2013
Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Director

Probability Theory for Financial Applications
Dates: October 17 – December 12, 2013
Instructor: Elena Kosygina, Baruch MFE Faculty

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
Dates: January – March, 2014
Syllabus: see below
Tuition: $1,450

Registration is now open and will continue until all seats are filled.

Dates: January 31 – March 28, 2013
Instructor: Rados Radoicic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Dates: January – March, 2014
Instructor: Tai-Ho Wang, Baruch MFE Faculty

Schedule: Eight sessions:
- Lecture from 6-9pm (taught by the instructor)
- Review Session from 9-10pm (taught by the teaching assistants)
Each seminar concludes with a Final Exam.
These seminars are not offered online. They take place on location at Baruch College, in Midtown Manhattan.

Registration Process: Enrollment is limited to 40 people in each seminar. To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu with the following documents:
  • a current version of your resume
  • a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how does taking seminars in the Pre-MFE Program align with those goals
  • indicate which seminar(s) you intend to register for
Certifications:
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion will be issued upon passing the final exam and obtaining a 70% or higher average.
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion with Distinction will be awarded to students with a 90% or higher average.
  • Upon successfully completing all three seminars of the Pre-MFE Program with a higher than 70% average, a Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program will be issued.
  • A Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program with Distinction will be awarded to students who achieved a 90% or higher average in each of the three seminars.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Attachments

• pre-mfe-ac_fe-sept2013-syllabus.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 148
  • pre-mfe-prob-oct2013-syllabus.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 125
  • pre-mfe-nla-feb2014-syllabus.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
> I would like to know if the Pre-MFE seminar are designed for students without sufficient math background for MFE program or for students who want to refresh their math skills?

The pre-requisite for taking a Pre-MFE seminar is to have taken the corresponding class at undergraduate level - for example, for taking the Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering Pre-MFE seminar you must have taken an undergraduate Linear Algebra course.

> how is pre-mfe course offered to international students ? How do international students complete pre-mfe ? (is it post the admission ?)

The seminars are on-site only. Prospective international students take the seminars if they are already in the US (studying in another program, or a work visa, or another extended stay visa).

Can I apply again if I was turned down by the committee? I think I didn't show all my background, mathematical ability and desire to this program.

You can re-apply, and you can and should change your resume and statement to reflect the additional information. Good luck.

You can re-apply, and you can and should change your resume and statement to reflect the additional information. Good luck.
Thanx a lot! I will send my new application with a new set of resume and statement. Hopefully, I will be enrolled and finish with good grades.

Hi, I wonder if I could get a higher chance of getting into the MFE program at Baruch College if I took pre-MFE class?

Thanks.

Hi, I wonder if I could get a higher chance of getting into the MFE program at Baruch College if I took pre-MFE class?

Completing the seminars successfully would mean that your knowledge of the respective material is strong and current, and therefore your performance on an admission interview should be better than otherwise.

Hi,
May I know whether it is possible to apply for Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications (Sept 17 intake)?

The registration for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications seminar beginning September 17 is now closed.

See the post above for information on applying to the other seminars.

The registration for the seminars below is now open and will continue until all seats are reserved. Enrollment in each on-site seminar is limited to 40 people.

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
Dates:
January – March, 2014

Dates:
January 31 – March 28, 2013
Instructor: Rados Radoicic, Baruch MFE Faculty

Dates:
January – March, 2014
Instructor: Tai-Ho Wang, Baruch MFE Faculty

To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu with the following documents:
  • a current version of your resume
  • a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how does taking seminars in the Pre-MFE Program align with those goals
  • indicate which seminar(s) you intend to register for

Attachments

• pre-mfe-nla-feb2014-syllabus.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pre-mfe-ac_fe-feb2014-syllabus.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • pre-mfe-prob-feb2014-syllabus.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Enrollment Update: as of 10/9/2013,

34 seats reserved and 6 seats currently available for the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning on October 17, 2013

22 seats reserved and 18 seats currently available for the Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering Pre-MFE seminar beginning on January 31, 2014

More than 30 seats are currently available for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications and the Probability Theory for Financial Applications Pre-MFE seminar beginning in January 2014

Are there any plans to make all of these courses/seminars available online? Also, does Baruch offer a Certificate for FE or are there any plans to do so (Also online)?

Hi,

Today I came to know that my application for Pre-MFE seminar (Probability Theory for Financial Applications: starting from Oct. 17) is turned down.

The reason was given as "My background is irrelevant"

I am doing Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, my research is in the field of "Energy Modelling and Climate Change"

An intelligent Financial Engineering can indeed solve the climate crisis, and that's where I would like to apply myself once I have Financial Engineering degree.

Taking Pre-MFE seminars will help me to understand the fundamentals, essential for Financial Engineering.

I even register for "Financial Engineering and Risk Management" offered at Columbia University through Coursera. Since it was just a seminar not an actual Financial Engineering program, I thought I will be accepted and hence I booked flights all eight weeks from FL to NYC, as currently I am living in FL.

I prepared well myself for these seminars, read couple of books by Mark Joshi on Financial Engineering concepts, refresh my C++ skills and even took advanced level probability class, here at FAU.

I am an international student, I started my journey from a small village in India, all I need is a one chance to prove myself and if you do that, trust me I wont disappoint you, Sir.

Kuntal - the admission decision to the seminar is based on multiple factors. Before posting here, you made the request for your application to be re-evaluated; we did so, but we could not offer you a seat. The same admission criteria are applied to every applicant.

Good afternoon Dr. Stefanica,

Thank you very much for your quick and brief reply.

Do you think taking C++ Programming for Financial Engineering Course, and completing it with "Distinction" can really enhance my chances for getting approval to Pre-MFE seminars in future ?

Good afternoon Dr. Stefanica,

Thank you very much for your quick and brief reply.

Do you think taking C++ Programming for Financial Engineering Course, and completing it with "Distinction" can really enhance my chances for getting approval to Pre-MFE seminars in future ?

Obtaining distinction in the C++ certificate would certainly weigh heavily for admission to the Pre-MFE seminars. Also, passing the C++ certificate would be a plus when applying to the Pre-MFe seminars.

Can international students who are not studying in the US apply for the program?

Unfortunately, we do not provide support for F1 student visas for the Pre-MFE seminars, and there are no plans to do so in the future.

Is it possible to host an information session online so that the international students can also have the opportunity the learn more about the Baruch MFE program.

Back