• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Manchester MSc QF vs Edinburgh MSc CMF

Which one is better

• Manchester MSc Quantitative Finance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edinburgh MSc Computational Mathematical Finance

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone,

I got admitted by University of Manchester MSc Quantitative Finance. Currently I study Economics and Finance at the University of Hong Kong (and I expect I will graduate with cGPA 3.50/4.30 - second upper class). Since my undergraduate degree is not mathematics, I wish I can learn some advanced math in my master program and find a quant role upon graduation of my master. Any thought on the quality of Manchester MSc Quantitaive Finance (in terms of math, reputation, career prospect, etc.)? How is it compared to University of Edinburgh MSc Computational Mathematical Finance? Thanks in advance!

Actually if both programs are not suitable for me, I can wait for one more year and apply for other schools. Please advice, thank you!!!

Cheers,
Autumn

List of math courses I have taken
1. University Mathematics II
2. Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics (covers proof techiques)
3. Multivariable Calculus
4. Linear Algebra I (covers matrix operations, system of equations, vector spaces, eigenvalue problem, inner product)
5. Introduction to mathematical analysis
6. Queueing theory and simulation (covers stochastic process and monte carlo)
7. Probability and Statistics I (covers probability distributions)
8. Probability and Statistics II (covers hypothesis testing and estimation)
9. Linear Statistical Analysis

Curriculum
Manchester: http://www.mbs.ac.uk/masters/_assets/pdf/2016/quantitative-finance-structure-2016.pdf
Edinburgh: Full-time Study | The University of Edinburgh

Less than 10% probability of getting work visa sponsorship from these unless you have prior superior work exp. Manchester is dogshit and Edinburgh has better content. If the programs have more than 20 students skip it...not worth. Going to second rate programs must be mitigated by highly personalized learning else not worth.

Hi everyone,

I got admitted by University of Manchester MSc Quantitative Finance. Currently I study Economics and Finance at the University of Hong Kong (and I expect I will graduate with cGPA 3.50/4.30 - second upper class). Since my undergraduate degree is not mathematics, I wish I can learn some advanced math in my master program and find a quant role upon graduation of my master. Any thought on the quality of Manchester MSc Quantitaive Finance (in terms of math, reputation, career prospect, etc.)? How is it compared to University of Edinburgh MSc Computational Mathematical Finance? Thanks in advance!

Actually if both programs are not suitable for me, I can wait for one more year and apply for other schools. Please advice, thank you!!!

Cheers,
Autumn

List of math courses I have taken
1. University Mathematics II
2. Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics (covers proof techiques)
3. Multivariable Calculus
4. Linear Algebra I (covers matrix operations, system of equations, vector spaces, eigenvalue problem, inner product)
5. Introduction to mathematical analysis
6. Queueing theory and simulation (covers stochastic process and monte carlo)
7. Probability and Statistics I (covers probability distributions)
8. Probability and Statistics II (covers hypothesis testing and estimation)
9. Linear Statistical Analysis

Curriculum
Manchester: http://www.mbs.ac.uk/masters/_assets/pdf/2016/quantitative-finance-structure-2016.pdf
Edinburgh: Full-time Study | The University of Edinburgh

Thanks so much for your advice. I understand Manchester may not be a very good choice and perhaps it is better for me to wait for one more year. What quant program(s) would you recommend me to apply given my academic background? I know choices are very limited for a non-math major, but still I want to try my best to become a quant.

Less than 10% probability of getting work visa sponsorship from these unless you have prior superior work exp. Manchester is dogshit and Edinburgh has better content. If the programs have more than 20 students skip it...not worth. Going to second rate programs must be mitigated by highly personalized learning else not worth.

Differ Edinburgh MSc for nxt year. Get work exp that can differentiate you, and try luck at top schools. Dont get anywhere got to Edin.

ee is not mathematics, I wish I can learn some advanced math in my master program and find a quant role upon graduation of my master. Any thought on the quality of Manchester MSc Quantitaive Finance (in terms of math, reputation, career prospect, etc.)? How is it compared to University of Edinburgh MSc Computational Mathematical Finance? Thanks in advance!

You can look at University of Birmingham- MSc financial engineering program, I find its curriculum interesting but not sure about university's reputation

Back