Mapping of Master Programs to Career Type

• Thread starter Thread starter ime
  • Start date Start date

ime

Hi guys, as read from this forum and various internet sources, a MFE program is meant for one to pursue a quant position in investment banks/trading firms. An MBA would b most "natural" if one wants to pursue an investment banking/corporate finance path. A Master in Finance would be more suitable if one wants to get in investment research.

So, my question is, if I wish to pursue a career in Trading, say joining S&T dep of an investment bank or market making firms or quant trading firms, would MFE be a good choice?

Thanks in advance :)

As far as I know, a good number of MFE students end up in the various trading roles.

"Trading" is used very loosely and dangerously by some people here. What are those roles exactly? Do you make/book/clear trades? Are you working in a trading desk as support roles?
It will always a big mistake to think anyone out of school with no prior experience will be put in a position to make trading decisions involving millions of dollars. Most people will NEVER get to be in that position, MFE or not.

Thanks for your reply, Andy. Yup, I am aware that fresh starters can hardly be the "real" trader, except for some Dutch market making firms which push trainees to trade after 2-3 months of training.

So, say one is an MFE grad from a reputable college, is his chance to be admitted to the Sales & Trading analyst program on par/better than/not as good as those Finance graduates from similar colleges?

Back