• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Market Risk - self study?

Hi,
Is it possible to get into market risk through self-study? Would I be able to network and get a job, if I study the material perfectly? Or is it absolutely necessary to have done an internship before? I just want to know if I have a viable chance?

PS: Also what exactly are the necessary material pertaining to market risk out of all the materials @Ken Abbott posted?

Depend on your diploma. But I would say a knowledge of math-finance(BS, Greeks,implied vol, skew\smile, basic knowledge of some interest rate product: Bonds, swap, cds). Of course this job require to have a good stat\time series , scientific use of python (or R) background, You will need to have some stochastic calculus background (nothing too heavy but is better to be good since it will help you to understand the pricing model of the product more easily and give you an idea about what your colleague are doing which is of course good for your future career progression). Also a flat plus will be given to you if you have already an updated idea about the FRTB and the new regulatory requirement.
good luck

Is it not attending courses on your own? I think this is possible when looking for information from paid sources

You will not be able to learn everything by self study. A lot of what you learn in market risk is how to get the data you need, and how you put it into a form you can actually use. The math is relatively simple. The operational aspects are not. Also, risk management since the financial crisis has been completely dominated by regulatory requirements. If you don't understand them and how they're implemented, you won't really understand the calculations.

Back