• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Master Programs Europe

Hi,

I have a B.Sc. in Business Mathematics with a GPA of 3.1/4 in Germany, 4 finance related internships in big as well as small companies/ banks and studied a semester in the US (GPA 4/4). I havent taken the Gmat yet but would expect a score between 650-720.
Does anyone know if I stand a chance to get into one of the following programs?

My dream schools
1.Epfl Lausanne - Financial Engineering
2. Imperial College - Financial Engineering

Others I am interested in
3. Rotterdam - Quantitative Economics/ Finance & Investments
4. Georgia - Quantitative & Computational Finance Program
5. Bocconi - MSF
6. Nova - MSF
7. Manchester - Mathematical Finance
8. KU Leuven - MSc in Actuarial and Financial Engineering
9. HSG - MBF (I know, unrealistic)
10. CBS - AES/ MSF and Investments
(11. Duke 12. Chapel Hill 13. NTU)

Do you have any other suggestions which program I could make with my profile?

Thank you!:)

Last edited:
When do you graduate and have you tried applying for quantitative positions already? Do you necessarily want a masters, or are the MSF/MFE programs stepping stones to a specific role?

I am going to graduate in Nov/Dez 2020. I have applied for intern roles this summer and got one offer in Equity Risk Management and passed the 3rd round with Deutsche in a position within FICC (before interviews with specific teams) which I then had to decline due to the other offer. I am interested in a quantitaitve position in trading/ structuring (maybe risk management). I would like to pursue a masters degree in order to gain knowledge about financial products, derivatives, ... (I have had only one finance lecture in my B.Sc) to be able to answer technical questions in interviews, improve my programming skills and be able to use them in a finance environment and finally improve my English skills.

Last edited:
12. University of Birmingham UK, course director is Dr. Colin Rowat

(to explain: I have been an external MSc supervisor there since 2014).

What about UCL/ kings college ? UCL is one of the strongest program in the UK I think, and King’s must be good too.

These are interesting schools, sure! But I have my doubts that I can get into them.
aren’t they less selective than your dream schools ? + the more you apply the more likely you will get a good program

aren’t they less selective than your dream schools ? + the more you apply the more likely you will get a good program
I honeslty don't really know if they are less selective. I would have guessed that UCL and Imperial are equally selective. However, I slightly prefer Imperial's curriculum.

I would think that HSG would be easier to get into than EPFL MFE.
That is good to know, thanks! :) I couldnt find much information about EPFL's average class profile.

Does anyone have a good idea which of these programs I could make for sure, which I might get in with a little luck and which are out of reach for me?

PS. Check out risk.net’s 2020 rankings. They provide tons of information regarding last year’s admission statistics. Out of 50 program, 25 were ranked. The other unranked 25 also provide information albeit incomplete.

PS. Check out risk.net’s 2020 rankings. They provide tons of information regarding last year’s admission statistics. Out of 50 program, 25 were ranked. The other unranked 25 also provide information albeit incomplete.

That was pretty helpful! Do you know if they also list the average class profile somewhere (GPA, Gmat, Gre, ..)?

That was pretty helpful! Do you know if they also list the average class profile somewhere (GPA, Gmat, Gre, ..)?
You need to go to each program's website, maybe you'll find admission statistics their. American programs usually post them.

Back