• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Masters in Finance instead of MFE

It seems like MFE is too much mathematical for my taste. I would prefer to have a managerial role at an investment bank rather than being a pure developer. Im thining about woking as a fund manager, trader, architect of a trading model etcetra instead of calculating and programming. Im not a mathematical guru like some people here but I have mathematical skills above average students. My academical background is a BSc with major in Business Administration and minor in Finance & BSc in Computer Science.

Based on my profile, should I still go for MFE or is it better to go for a pure Masters in Finance?
In that case, which american universities do you recommend? I searched for Masters/Finance in several wellknown Californian universities without finding any Finance, they have usually Economics, Accounting, Management or MBA but it seems to be unusual with Finance.

International Association of Financial Engineers - Academic Programs

Princeton University has an excellent program ( Masters in Finance), however the program is very quantitative. You should realize that most people working in the field want to be the front office trader. However, a Masters in Finance from Princeton won't put you directly into that position. The truth is that if you have a quantitative background you have a better shot of getting there, but more importantly you need to impress the right people, work the political latter at work, and show that you see the whole picture and that your not just a number cruncher, and don't forget the right time and place. See if you can get into Baruch's MFE,Good Luck

Why don't you go for an MBA?

MBA is usually for people who are looking for managerial positions and are less quantitatively oriented.

I am not sure whether you can get a managerial position with MS in Finance.

i agree with Yuriy - i don't see much value in MS in Finance (vs. MBA or MFE).

It seems like MFE is too much mathematical for my taste. I would prefer to have a managerial role at an investment bank rather than being a pure developer. Im thining about woking as a fund manager, trader, architect of a trading model etcetra instead of calculating and programming. Im not a mathematical guru like some people here but I have mathematical skills above average students. My academical background is a BSc with major in Business Administration and minor in Master Finance & BSc in Computer Science.

Based on my profile, should I still go for MFE or is it better to go for a pure Masters in Finance?
In that case, which american universities do you recommend? I searched for Masters/Finance in several wellknown Californian universities without finding any Finance, they have usually Economics, Accounting, Management or MBA but it seems to be unusual with Finance.

International Association of Financial Engineers - Academic Programs

I think you should avoid MFE if you are not a mental computer.

An MSF will put you more on the investment banker/PE/ S&T/ F500 track. Most MSF programs incorporate CFA material as well as both academic and applied finance. The MSF wont really set you up for a quant role.

MBA is still the go to degree, but it is not really worth it unless you go to a T20 school. Outside of that only do an MBA if it is free and at night.

I did my MSF from Villanova and am now working in PE.

As for managerial positions, the MSF usually passes as an MBA in the F500 world. In banking the MBA still reigns supreme.

Guys,
Am a software engineer. I wish to switch into Finance domain...
So I am evaluating my options between MS Finace and MFE.

Can you specifically wat will be the job area that MSF will cover.

I can see MFE will get a job in Quant Research related to Maths. MSF I read posts that it wil fetch job in Bank.

But can you explain the job opputunity in MSF more clearly. Bank is a very large area, can you focus on what kind of job I may be doing after MSF????

Back