• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Masters Student in EE, looking to get into quant finance

Hey everyone,

I'm a Masters student in Electrical Engineering at a UC school. My focus is on signal processing, and communication systems.

However, I wish to get into quant finance. I'd like some advice on how I should go about applying to these firms, since I am not a student of MFE. I have started reading the reference books that have been listed on this website, but it will take me a while to go through them. Since, companies hire internships around now, I need some guidance as to how I plan the rest of my time in the university in order to get into the field (either through an internship or directly full time). I would be graduating in March 2014

My profile is like this:
Have worked on: signal processing, speech/image processing.
I'm quite strong at Math/Probability, but I'm rather new to financial mathematics

My coding skills are in C++, Matlab and Python. I would say I'm average here

So how should I spend my time?
Programming/Algorithms?
Or Financial Math?

What are my options, given my background?

Summary:
MS Student in Signal Processing.
What should I do now (and for the next one year) to get in the field? I will graduate in March 2014, so I have one shot at an internship (now) and one at full-time.

Finance is a dealy path, I also am from EE/Nano electronics/MEMS and now moved in quant finance.
All of the peace of life is gone, and all what I have is future expected cash flows with probabilities attached.

Haha, thanks for the input.

Any tips on how to get in though? How did you manage to get in?

I am in India, I got in through KPO concept in India where I am international external researcher for bank.
I am billed 100k but given 10k only per year and rest is earned by KPO company. Also there is no working hours limit and Saturday/Sundays are not off. I work for over 70 hrs a week many of times.
Hell of a job but the job is for top US very conservative bank in IB team with very good exposure and knowledge on Quant corp finance. I get to see many good models and pitch books. Before this I was working on a german bank as international contractual exployee in index quant where I learend about various indices based on equity.

I got in by doing 1 year PG diploma finance in india, passinng cfa l1 and frm 1.

Hi Shivgan,

I am also working here in KPO for last 4 years into Risk & Analytics. I am trying to make move to Quants but finding hard time to reach there. I have completed Financial Engineering & Risk Management from NISM (SEBI India) and MBA (Finance). Can you please suggest what else can be done for Entry level quant profile particularly in India ?

Thanks

Back