• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math certificates for MFE

Hello,
I am a business graduate majoring in finance and I am really interested in the MFE. The problem is that I lack most (if not all) of the math prerequisites since I graduated a long time ago. I've searched around the forums for some certificates in the math requirements for the MFE, and found the Baruch pre-MFE package which also needs prerequisites in math. Are there any certificates that can take me through the math from A to Z? Kindly requesting help and guidance on this issue.

Hi Abdulaziz, you can also try NetMath program provided by UIUC. They provide excellent online undergraduate math courses. I think it well suits your needs because it covers a wide range of math topics.

Hi Abrulaziz,

I have the same academic background and I fully share your interest in MFE. Here is what may be of interest: Certificate in Computational Finance from University of Washington: http://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/computational-finance.html

Program Features
Please post here all good alternatives for a pre-MFE course. It will be very helpful for the others, including me.

Thanks!

Hi Abrulaziz and Dmitrijs Kass,

I also have the same academic background as you guys. I also have an interest in pursuing MFE program. Here is what I can share:

- I took Cal I during my Bachelor.
- I took Cal II and III through the NetMath program.
- Linear algebra through Wisconsin Madison online
- Probability (SIEO4150) through CVN
- C++ through Quantnet
- Now I am searching for the differential equation course online.

I still have not applied to any program. I plan to do it at the end of this year. I completely have no idea if this would help me got accepted to any program. I just try to do as best as I can.

I also have the same academic background as you guys. I also have an interest in pursuing MFE program. Here is what I can share:

- C++ through Quantnet

I still have not applied to any program. I plan to do it at the end of this year. I completely have no idea if this would help me got accepted to any program. I just try to do as best as I can.

Can you please share your experience comparing and contrasting NetMath, Wisconsin Madison, and CVN? How was the quality?

Can you please share your experience comparing and contrasting NetMath, Wisconsin Madison, and CVN? How was the quality?

NetMath:
You study the materials through the makingmath website. You read the materials, see the examples, and do the assignments provided by the makingmath. The course is self-paced.
Wisconsin:
There are lecture notes and short videos provided for studying. You would rely more on the lecture notes. For me, I just felt that the videos did not help at all. There are weekly assignments, which took like 3-4 hours to complete. Although the videos did not help, I think I got quite a lot from this course via the assignments.
CVN:
I like this the most. You will study from the videos recorded from the actual class posted. You will do the assignments just like the in-class students. Doing the same exam. However, there are many times that the officers of CVN are delayed in uploading the videos and that ruins my schedule to some extent.

That's it for the brief summary of my experience. If you want to know anything more in particular, just ask :)

- C++ through Quantnet

Thanks for sharing!
1. Did you get college credits from NetMath, WM and CVN?
2. Why did not you use free MOOCs from Coursera and edX? Or maybe you did? Then did you decide this was not good enough?
3. I recommend you to contact a sample of universities where you'd like to pursue MFE and clarify if your plan will work. You make a huuge effort, you invest a lot of energy and time and money - do a risk management exercise, assess the risks you are taking.

2. Why did not you use free MOOCs from Coursera and edX? Or maybe you did? Then did you decide this was not good enough?

From @Phongvasu 's old thread here: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/wh...sufficient-math-background.13883/#post-115114

You should take and get certified from a respectable college:
  • Linear Algebra
  • Calculus II
  • Probability
  • Differential Equations (optional)
  • C++ (needed)
Claiming knowledge without a course will likely not get you past the application stage.

Thanks, zyz, got it.

As I understood from other forum threads, another acceptable path to MFE is to
1. self-prepare for pre-MFE program
2. complete pre-MFE program

If the aim is enrol in MFE - do you think this is as good as having college credits for the mentioned subjects?

Thanks for sharing!
1. Did you get college credits from NetMath, WM and CVN?
3. I recommend you to contact a sample of universities where you'd like to pursue MFE and clarify if your plan will work. You make a huuge effort, you invest a lot of energy and time and money - do a risk management exercise, assess the risks you are taking.

It seems like zyz has already answer the questions for me. To confirm, yes I got college credits for all of them. For second, I did not get the college credit so I decided not to do it.
For third, thank you for your recommendation. I think I should contact some of them.

Thanks, zyz, got it.

As I understood from other forum threads, another acceptable path to MFE is to
1. self-prepare for pre-MFE program
2. complete pre-MFE program

If the aim is enrol in MFE - do you think this is as good as having college credits for the mentioned subjects?

I have ever considered that path a year ago. I decided not to do it. I just felt that self-prepare for all the materials for pre-MFE program is not that simple.

Anyway, there is another option. Have you ever considered the Columbia's Quantitative studies for finance certificate? You should look into it. The only problem is that it is way to expensive.

At last, it all depends on you. I just express my opinion for your better decision making.

Anyway, there is another option. Have you ever considered the Columbia's Quantitative studies for finance certificate? You should look into it. The only problem is that it is way to expensive.
Thanks for an idea. I have not seen this certificate, but I was considering the one from the University of Washington. I agree it's too expensive. And if the aim is MFE then having a certificate in the same field does not give any value added at all.

Back