• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math/comp. sci coursework from a 4-year vs. a CC?

For someone whose bachelor degree program was very short on comp sci./math coursework and is planning on picking up some courses to shore up their application, how important is the issuing school? I'd emphasis that this is more for the line on the CV than for pedagogic purposes, I have a fairly strong grasp of the level of math and computer science, but it's pretty much all through self-study and work experience. How much would I be hurt by taking them through a community college(albeit a relatively well-regarded system), at least) rather than a four-year university(a U.C. school) at several times the cost and far less flexibility in schedule?

I know it will make a difference, but for non-degree coursework how much of a difference will it make? Is it the sort of thing that will only matter at the margins, or will having calculus and C++ courses from a community college round-filed?

Coursework is only a part of your overall application, so yes university matters but how much depends on the rest of your application.

As you pointed out, the differences are in cost and flexibility (plus I feel that there is a general idea that CCs are easier).

You say that the CC is relatively well-regarded but I'm guessing that is in your area/state. If you told me its name I've probably never heard of it.

So your ultimate question is which should you do. I point back to cost and scheduling. Let's say that you have 2 years to take courses to prepare for MFE applications. Because of cost and schedules, if you went to the four year university you could only take 4 courses but if you were to go to the CC, you could take 8 courses. In this situation I would say go to the CC and take more courses. Another question is the depth of courses offered at the CC, I've seen some that only offer the basics.

The question is more appropriate if you get a whole degree but in this case, it's a few courses to meet the MFE requirements. For admission purpose, these are essentially check list so it makes little sense to go to more expensive schools to take Calculus I, Introduction to C++.
Some MFE programs are even OK with the idea that you take these few courses online, given the unavailability of those courses at your local colleges or your schedule.

Back