• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

mathy shows

atreides

Graduate Student
I'm curious what folks are watching these days. I started looking at Numb3rs which I think is interesting. In the episodes I've seen, the protagonist used a combination of facility location algorithms, neural nets and some machine learning to catch the bad guy.:D

I like Fringe, too.

Never could get into Numb3ers. It seemed to me to do for math / statistics what CSI does for forensic science: Endow it with magical powers that confer near-omniscience on its practitioners. It's sort of a science-as-magic, or even -religion, premise that not only grates on my nerves but also gives a really false sense of how difficult even seemingly simple things can be. It fosters either complacency or resentment in those who don't understand the field, I think, and breeds serious misconceptions about how the world actually is.

Back