• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MBA Maths?? Warwick specifically

Good Afternoon,

So first disclosure, I do not like math, do not want math, but I need it! lol, I do of course like what knowledge math brings as well as its ability to clarify through the “BS” someone may be trying to tell me.

I am about to start an MBA program in July so not a MFE like many here, I will be asking the question in that setting as well, so please do waste my time by telling me to go there.

I stumbled upon your site while doing some research on my program and liked how some of the conversations were flowing, so I hoped some of you would not mind a quick intrusion.

Recently I was accepted into the Warwick MBA and have a few months so one of the things I want to do is strengthen my quant and general business math skills. Academically I have had nothing to do with math for around 6 years and never taken any advanced math’s' (always avoided which I regret now).

So my question is what areas (and resources) I could use to prep for the coming classes. I am trying to be proactive here also I will be asking this to faculty as well in next few weeks but nothing like a crowd sourced answer to start things off.

Thank you for your time.
Lee

Afternoon Andy,

Thanks for your reply!

Here are the core classes (below) ;
There are 6-7 electives as well and descriptions are here: http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/learn/

I am probably over preparing for this,as they knew I did not have the strongest math background. I believe have other unique areas that seemed to make enough of a difference to get in. I do not worry about not succeeding I worry about not being strong while succeeding.

I meet with more of the faculty next week and maybe I'll find out this was for not, but my math could use some refresh anyway lol.

As a master in international business graduate my guess is the math will be light. WACC and CAPM in Finance was the hardest but did not require much more than elementary statistics and algebra.

Time management was more important..

No interest in an MFE, never even paid attention to the title till I stumbled here.

I recently finished my Masters in Adult Education (MEd) and I work in the arena of "corporate and government/military" education. I thought I wanted my PhD next but the more I looked into it, it seemed like it would narrow my options rather than open them (other then upwards in academia). So an MBA made most sense for stepping up to a Director of Global Learning or that type of position in the future. Or to completely switch and head into management, though the politics have usually been the turn off for that direction in the past.

So decided a few weeks ago to put a package together for an MBA and contacted a few schools Warwick, IE, Kelley, W.P. Carey. IE of course I loved but with their tuition costs didn't justify it though sure I'd loved it. I focused my energy on Warwick as I liked where the school seems to be heading and the Alumni and its vibe I got during my research led me to see them as a school that wants to keep excelling.

So to make that story short, the MBA seems to be best fitted for a more general upward path.

Back