• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MBA students, grads and wannabes

Hi,

I'm writing from businessbecause.com (business school news and networking). Most MBAs we interview have studied engineering at some point so financial engineers in particular must be highly likely to consider an MBA at some point?

Why so many engineers do an MBA? Is anyone in this forum interested in doing one at some point?

If you've got any questions about MBA/MSc business programs, b-schools, GMAT, scholarships then throw them my way and I'll do my best to help!

BusinessBecause

MS in Finance?

Well, I want to do a MS in finance from the US.

My current credentials are:

Country of Citizenship : India

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor of Engineering
1st Major : Electronics
2nd Major : Telecommunications

University Attended : University of Pune, India

GMAT : 640 Q:47 V:32 AWA: 5

Work Experience : 0 years

Hi kartikchopra,

Have you made any sort of initial list of schools you're considering? May I ask why you've decided to focus on the US?

This is quite a good article to read if you're at the beginning of your search, she has some good tips about making the applications you decide to make really count:
Extract from article:
"Personally, I’m not a big fan of long efforts, and I would never have been able to apply for more than one round. People who apply to more than 6 schools over three rounds impress me because of their resilience. Since I had very little time, I had to make my shortlist as short as possible. Overall, I applied to no more than 3 b-schools." full article here

I think when you're deciding which b-school/uni you want to apply to, beware of relying on just one thing. On this rankings table you can see that one rankings number 9 is another rankings number 30!

However, do think about perhaps 4 things that are really important to you e.g.
employment support for graduates
affiliations with large companies
reputation with different industries

then take these four things and create your shortlist. Finally I'd advise contacting/networking with as many people as you can find from the school...doing so will give you the 'real' picture.

I really hope this helps you out - let me know if you're interested in a more detailed impression of a specific school and I'll see if I've got any interesting stories or nuggets of information for you!

Have you made any sort of initial list of schools you're considering? May I ask why you've decided to focus on the US?
!

Yes i have made a list but it comprises of only 3 schools

1) University of Rochester (Simon) - MS in Finance

2) Duke (Fuqua) - MMS, I have picked this school because of its brand name and the fact that most of the class is going to resemble the kind of profile that I have. Plus, I guess it is the best program to change one's line of work from engineering to management/finance

3) IIT Stuart - I have selected this school as a safety measure.

4) Wake forest - MA in management. Not sure whether to apply or not. Looks like a good program for a person like me who wants to shift from engineering to management/finance.

I have not picked any other schools so far because:

a) Most of the good schools have summer 2011 admission for which i am not eligible as my undergrad wont be finished by then. So i have kept these options open for summer 2012.

b) I can significantly increase my GMAT scores by January 2011.

The reasons that i have selected US as my preferred destination are:

a) This is the ONLY country, I wish to study in and maybe work in.
b) I think i will easily adjust to life in the US
c) NYC is the financial capital of the world
d) The best education format is followed by the universities in america.

Hi kartikchopra,

DEFINITELY makes sense to study in the US if that's the place that you want to be based. Your list is a good one - I've spoken with students at Fuqua a few times and they've all been very impressive. You're right, it's brand name is excellent and they've done well to get such a good global reputation.

One school we work closely with and that I would personally recommend in the US is The GW University School of Business. They match your current profile quite well (entry requirements wise) and their deadline for international admissions isn't until Fall 2011 - will your undergrad be done by then? Perhaps worth considering them for numbers 3 or 4 on your shortlist list?

Their website for MSc in Finance is here
and the BusinessBecause school profile page with stories & student reviews is here.

Their M.S.F is held in the campus 'Foggy Bottom' - lol!

Hi kartikchopra,

One school we work closely with and that I would personally recommend in the US is The GW University School of Business. They match your current profile quite well (entry requirements wise) and their deadline for international admissions isn't until Fall 2011 - will your undergrad be done by then? Perhaps worth considering them for numbers 3 or 4 on your shortlist list?

Their website for MSc in Finance is here
and the BusinessBecause school profile page with stories & student reviews is here.

Thanks, I will look into this program and get back to you.

***EDIT: I did look into the class profile and i guess this program is not the one for me. The average age of admitted students is 30 years and average no. of years of work experience is 6 years. This is their class profile.

Master of Science in Finance Program 2009 Class Profile

Percentage of Male/Female 65/35
Percentage of Intensive/Regular Time 11/89
Percentage of Students with Graduate Degrees 31
Average GMAT 653
Average age 30
Average Years of Full Time Work Experience 6
Countries Represented 16

So I guess no 'Foggy Bottom' for me. lol

Do you have any information/reviews about the wake forest program?

The GWU program is unique because it requires a lot of work experience.

The Duke program is in its 2nd year and just redid their website. Really great placements and a good overall business/management program. I met a current student who now works in admissions so PM me for her contact and an introduction.

The Wake Forest program has been around for 6 years. Good overall management program also. I know the admissions people so PM me for an introduction there also. Less than 1 year WE is a must.

Look at UVA MS Commerce also. They do not accept business majors ( you fit that requirement) and their placements are outstanding. I know some people there also.

The GWU program is unique because it requires a lot of work experience.

The Duke program is in its 2nd year and just redid their website. Really great placements and a good overall business/management program. I met a current student who now works in admissions so PM me for her contact and an introduction.

The Wake Forest program has been around for 6 years. Good overall management program also. I know the admissions people so PM me for an introduction there also. Less than 1 year WE is a must.

Look at UVA MS Commerce also. They do not accept business majors ( you fit that requirement) and their placements are outstanding. I know some people there also.

I'll check all of them out.

One prejudice that I have against the wake forest program is that it is a MA degree, I think that a MA degree does not have the same impact as a MS degree. Do you agree with this Anthony?

I checked out the UVA program and i found one issue with it:

Prerequisite Coursework
Applicants to the M.S. in Commerce Class of 2012 must complete or plan to complete the following prerequisite U.Va. coursework or equivalents from other institutions before formal admission to the program:

Introduction to Financial Accounting (COMM 2010)
Principles of Economics: Microeconomics (ECON 2010)
Introduction to Statistics*

I guess, I do not have time to complete this as I am in my final year of undergrad and even after the completion of my degree, i wont have much time.

Although i have done microeconomics and statistics in year 12 of school but i guess it does not count.

I would still reach out to the UVA Commerce people anyway. I met he recruiter just recently and she was very helpful. My take away was the work experience and the undergrad major were the hard and fast rules. They don't want business majors or experienced people.

As far as the MA vs MS goes, I don't really think it matters. You have a technical degree for your undergrad so no one is going to question your proficiency. Just realize that a masters in management is not going to be quant at all. It is more for someone looking to get their first taste of business exposure while using the year to re-brand and reposition themselves.

I would still reach out to the UVA Commerce people anyway. I met he recruiter just recently and she was very helpful. My take away was the work experience and the undergrad major were the hard and fast rules. They don't want business majors or experienced people.

As far as the MA vs MS goes, I don't really think it matters. You have a technical degree for your undergrad so no one is going to question your proficiency. Just realize that a masters in management is not going to be quant at all. It is more for someone looking to get their first taste of business exposure while using the year to re-brand and reposition themselves.

Yes, I understand this. I require a reputed brand name on one of my degrees also. Thats why I am considering Wake Forest and Duke.
I come from India and the University of Pune. The University of Pune is one of the oldest universities in India and is reputed but it's name is not reputed throughout the world.

My final list is decided:

1) Duke
2) Rochester
3) Wake Forest

If i get through then good enough, otherwise I am improving on my gmat score in January and getting a 700+ and trying for the big boys such as Vanderbilt, MIT, Olin, Claremont etc.

In the mean time i will also rack up an internship or two under my belt.

PS - Anthony, You sleep for a short time (right?). lol!

Back