• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MBA vs. MFE

I recently got accepted to couple MBA programs at Toronto Rotman and UCLA Anderson - I got rejected by other top tier schools because of the fierce competition for 2010 admission. Recently I was contacted by Berkeley Hass MFE program, with a possible chance of admission. I have read many postings here and understand that MFE and MBA are much different programs. MFE focusses on quant/C++ whereas MBA is more about business management and leadership. I'm a professional civil engineer looking to transition into a financial industry - possibly a trader position or in investment management. My dilemma is that while I would prefer MBA, Anderson MBA isn't so strong for finance career prospects, and was thinking MFE from Haas would be better for me. Please comment.

Anderson's reputation in finance is stellar. You will have little problem starting your career, plus an mba avoids the possibility of getting thrown in the back office path, which it sounds like you don't want.

Rotman MBA is well regarded - it always ranks near the top of every MBA ranking. They also have a "Risk Management & Financial Engineering" concentration in their MBA program.

From their website:

Topics Covered
In this major you will learn about derivatives markets and how instruments such as futures and options can be used for risk management. You will learn about risk management from a) the perspective of a corporate treasurer who is interested in hedging his or her exposure to interest rates, exchange rates, commodity prices etc, b) the perspective of a fund manager who wants to change the nature of his or her exposure to financial markets, and c) the perspective of a financial institution that trades derivatives and is faced with an increasingly complex regulatory environment.

Career Paths
Many banks have recruited large numbers of "quants" in recent years but have not developed the managerial infrastructure to use those quants effectively. The risk management and financial engineering major will equip you well to be part of that managerial infrastructure. It will also give you the tools necessary to join groups concerned with structuring complex products that meet the needs of particular clients.

Some past MBAs are now involved in the sales and trading of specific derivatives products.

Back