• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

McMaster (Canada)

I have recently been accepted to the McMaster M-Phimac program in Canada, and I was wondering whether there are any other Canadian QuantNet members who are planning to attend/have attended?

It seems like a good program and has good placement statistics, but I was wondering what kind of reputation it has on Bay Street in comparison to somewhere like UofT or UW. The fact that is would be lesser known on wall street than UofT is not really an issue for me as I'd prefer to stay in Canada.

Thanks!

Hi David,

I've also recently been accepted to this program. I've also applied to U of T and have yet to hear back regarding interviews like some of the other people on here..
U of T was originally my first choice but the McMaster program seems similar if just lacking a bit of the "recognition" that the U of T program has..
It seems like the program is just relatively new, and the lower tuition costs are a result of it trying to build up their level of reputation among the community.

It seems like the program is just relatively new, and the lower tuition costs are a result of it trying to build up their level of reputation among the community.
McMaster is a public university so I do not believe their tuition cost is not set at the program-level but rather university-wide. You can see if it's the case by checking tuition of other master level programs under the same dept there.
It's not like they can double the tuition overnight if they become popular.
Tuition at private universities is fair game and they can charge as much as the market can pay.

Hi, David &GBerger,

Have you guys gotten official letter or email of admission? When was your interview and when did you get acceptance?

Hi David,

I've also recently been accepted to this program. I've also applied to U of T and have yet to hear back regarding interviews like some of the other people on here..
U of T was originally my first choice but the McMaster program seems similar if just lacking a bit of the "recognition" that the U of T program has..

Hi, David &GBerger,

Have you guys gotten official letter or email of admission? When was your interview and when did you get acceptance?

Yes, I had a phone call with Professor Hurd, the program coordinator, about 2 weeks ago and received an email of admission about a week after. Have until the end of March to make a decision.
It wasn't a technical interview by any means, more of a discussion about their program and future goals.

Yes, I had a phone call with Professor Hurd, the program coordinator, about 2 weeks ago and received an email of admission about a week after. Have until the end of March to make a decision.
It wasn't a technical interview by any means, more of a discussion about their program and future goals.

I went through the exact same process as GBerger.

hey GBerger & David i also got admitted recently. I just applied this one math finance program at mcmaster. the good employment record was really attractive to me. I currently have statistics offer from Waterloo. hard to make a decision between them. i would like to work after graduation so maybe mcmaster is a better choice?

Hi guys,
I want to apply to both Mcmaster and U of T for financial mathematics for September 2020, but most likely Mcmaster because of the affordable tuition fees. Can you please tell me how is the interview and how I can prepare myself or what they are looking for in the application stages, specially the interview since it is my biggest concern

Back