• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

McMaster University Interview questions

Hey all,
I've been shortlisted for an interview for the financial mathematics program.

In case someone has attended the University's interview please let me know what to expect

Thank you all in advance.

Hey all,
I've been shortlisted for an interview for the financial mathematics program.

In case someone has attended the University's interview please let me know what to expect

Thank you all in advance.
Hi Sashank,

I just got interview email invitation from McMaster too. I presume you have completed it, and I will highly appreciate if you can share your experience such as what kind of questions to prepare (in the email they mentioned it would be technical and I am bit concern about it), thank you in advance.

TK

Hi Sashank,

I just got interview email invitation from McMaster too. I presume you have completed it, and I will highly appreciate if you can share your experience such as what kind of questions to prepare (in the email they mentioned it would be technical and I am bit concern about it), thank you in advance.

TK
Hey TKO,

I did complete my interview and have also received an admission offer from the University. With respect to my experience it was quite pleasant. My interview was conducted by Prof David who is the director of the program. The major questions asked were with respect tot the topics in your transcript that can be transferrable for the Financial mathematics program. For me it revolved around Probability, Statistics and extremely basic questions about PDE. He also asked me about my motivation to pursue the course in Financial mathematics and the steps I took to change from an Engineering background to that in Finance. Finally there were a few questions about my skills which were more of self assessing my technical skills that were mentioned in my resume. I had the chance to ask a few questions to the interviewer and then it ended.

Just yesterday I had attended a meet and greet with prospective students and alumni. I hope you have a great experience and I'm wishing you all the best.

TLDR : Be thorough with the basics of the concepts in your transcript. You can choose a topic that you're familiar with to be interviewed on. Try to communicate confidently and make sure that you accept your mistakes when you make one and show that you're ready to learn.

Sincerely,
Sashank

Hey TKO,

I did complete my interview and have also received an admission offer from the University. With respect to my experience it was quite pleasant. My interview was conducted by Prof David who is the director of the program. The major questions asked were with respect tot the topics in your transcript that can be transferrable for the Financial mathematics program. For me it revolved around Probability, Statistics and extremely basic questions about PDE. He also asked me about my motivation to pursue the course in Financial mathematics and the steps I took to change from an Engineering background to that in Finance. Finally there were a few questions about my skills which were more of self assessing my technical skills that were mentioned in my resume. I had the chance to ask a few questions to the interviewer and then it ended.

Just yesterday I had attended a meet and greet with prospective students and alumni. I hope you have a great experience and I'm wishing you all the best.

TLDR : Be thorough with the basics of the concepts in your transcript. You can choose a topic that you're familiar with to be interviewed on. Try to communicate confidently and make sure that you accept your mistakes when you make one and show that you're ready to learn.

Sincerely,
Sashank
Hi Sashank,

Big congratulation! I believe your effort and ability deserve the admission, and thank you so much for sharing the experience and kind advises, hopfully I could also be one of the team in Fall 2022, wish me luck though :)

Sincerely,
TKO

Hi Sashank,

I have applied to the mmf program in mcmaster university however I have not received any notification as of yet.. Does that mean that all the prospective students have been selected or should I wait a little more..?

Back