• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mechanical Engineer admitted to UCLA MFE

I have recently been admitted to the MFE program at UCLA with a 10K scholarship. I believe the program is great and has a good reputation, the cost of attendance, and job placement after graduation worries me a bit though.

I am a Canadian and I am currently working as a mechanical engineer in Canada and have a stable job with a high-tech firm. Since I got admitted, I started looking into financing the CAD 140k price tag for getting the degree (this includes cost of living and tuition, exchange rate is taken into account). I am probably going to have to borrow CAD70K to pay for the costs. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask people with more experience in this field :

1. UCLA does not release internship employment/salary rates, any insight into how much interns get paid, what percentage of students get internships?

2. I currently make CAD 80k in engineering, expecting it to grow slowly (3%) over the next 5 years, and cost of living in my city is far cheaper than the cost of living in big cities like NY, SanFran, or LA. Is a career in quantitative finance going to be better financially in the long run than my current engineering career?

3. How hard would it be for me to work in a US firm after MFE as a Canadian?

4. Has anyone had experience coming back to work in Canada with an MFE degree from US?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this!

Cheers.

cost of living in la is dirt cheap compared with sf or nyc. but that 140k price tag seems too high and borderline ridiculous.

Back