• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE 2023 Profile Evaluation

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of the application process for MFE programs, but I'm a little bit worried on my chances as I'm only applying to 5 programs. Would really appreciate if you guys can take a look at my profile and give some feedback!

School: UCB, major in Computer Science & Statistics, GPA: 3.79/4.0
Courses: Calculus (A+), Multi-Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Machine Learning (A), Calculus based Statistics (A-), Stochastic process (A-), with a bunch of other programming/math/stat courses. Proficient in Python, Java, and C.
Work experiences: 1 Big name Chinese Asset management intern (4 months) + 2 PE interns in China + 1 quant research intern (didn't do a lot)

Target School: MIT MFin, CMU MSCF, Columbia MFE, Yale Asset Management, UChicago Finmath

I know my gpa is dragging me down, but I'm kind of curious if the admission committee will consider the fact that Berkeley has insane gpa deflation, especially in cs courses. I think I did pretty well in the courses that MFE requires, and my internships are somehow on track I guess. Plz leave some thoughts and I would love to hear any feedbacks on my profile. Many thanks!

hey do you have any advice for GRE quant prep? I'm currently stuck at low 160s

Jaspxxx, This looks like a very nice profile! The finance internships are very important especially if you did not minor in Finance or Econ. As a general point, not about your profile :), I think one should always apply to more programs than just the target schools. I assume you are not just applying to your 5 target schools. Good Luck !

hey do you have any advice for GRE quant prep? I'm currently stuck at low 160s

This company is really good. They helped me go from the low 160s to 170.

Back