• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE admission advice

Hi,

I am currently a student at University of Illinois at Chicago, pursuing Electrical Engineering. I am trying to pave my way to MFE, and for that matter I am looking forward towards your guidance. I have taken few courses in programming, but they used java as the core language. I am picking up C++ on my spare time. Is that sufficient? Or should I be considering taking C++ coursework?

Thanks.

You should be fine as long as you are good at O-O-programming... it shouldn't be hard at all to pick up C++ if you are good at JAVA... having said that... some online course will come in handy as well... here are some examples:

http://extension.berkeley.edu/cat/course115.html
http://extension.berkeley.edu/cat/course170.html

Also... remember... programming is not the only component... you need to show good strength in Math/Calculus-based Probability etc... so have that aspect covered as well....

Thanks Devdeep. I have considered the Math portion as well, and hence I am getting a minor in Mathematics. I have taken some grad courses such as Numerical Analysis and Introduction to Statistical Mathematics, and in both of them I have received A's. I was thinking of signing up for C++ course at a local community college. So, will it be better to take a class at community college or a prestigious institution like Berkeley?

Thanks Devdeep. I have considered the Math portion as well, and hence I am getting a minor in Mathematics. I have taken some grad courses such as Numerical Analysis and Introduction to Statistical Mathematics, and in both of them I have received A's. I was thinking of signing up for C++ course at a local community college. So, will it be better to take a class at community college or a prestigious institution like Berkeley?

Mostly what matters is how much you know the stuff...

But for showing on your application... some course would help... I do not think I can properly answer whether Berkeley online course will be better than community college or not... but it could be... maybe it might depend on your target school... you could also try to see whether U Chicago offers any such course in C++ or not...

If you think you can learn way more by physically being in a classroom... choose that option...

Maybe @Hem Joshi can give you further info on the Berkeley online C++ course...

Back