• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Advice

Hello,
With the state of the job market I've been looking into grad school. I was looking for some advice on MFE programs.

I Graduated from University of Michigan with a BA in Economics and History with a 2.3 gpa. (Many reasons for the epic suck.) I am looking into taking 7-10 more math/stat classes before I apply; let's just say I 4.0 them all. Also, let's assume I have an outstanding GRE score (I have a 700 GMAT score.. could have been 740+ had I had another week to study), great letters of rec, along with a killer personal statement / interviews.

Assuming this what are my chances of getting into a good school? Also what are some realistic programs I should be looking at? Should I look into going a different direction?

Also, for the programming requirements - do you need to have taken academic classes in programming or will learning it myself suffice for the application process?

If you can justify your GPA and show good performance in the pre-req classes (especially math), I think you should be okay with a 700 GMAT score (which is really good for gmat).

I think C++ programming classes will help. Just the first one or two Computer Science programming classes might do the trick.

I think 2.3 gpa is quite low, you're going to have to ace your math classes. As for the programming, some schools will require you take classes. I suggest you take them, they'll give you more than what books have to offer.

Back