• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE alternative career paths

I created a thread a couple days ago asking for advice choosing between two majors and have decided to go with financial mathematics. I'm interested in what other career paths one might be able to follow if a decent job doesn't soon follow after an MFE?

I feel it would be a major downer if after spending $50k+ I was unable to obtain a quant position. With the other undergrad degree I was considering I would have had excellent programming skills to fall back on. Where as not so much with financial mathematics and an MFE.

What kinds of positions are open to MFE grads? Something equally lucrative that would pay for the MFE. It is such a specific field im afraid I wouldn't be able to apply it to a field where it would yield viable returns. I don't want to end up with an MFE where a BS would have sufficed

Wow dude! Easy! If you are good enough to get into an MFE program and you do well you will get a job. Just focus on your courses. Study, study, study! Life's not half as bad as people make it out to be :)

Besides, a whole lot of MFE grads become Quantitative Developers - a job that is 90% programming. Your skills will not go to waste.

Back