• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Fall 2024 Profile Evaluation

Hi all, been watching this forum for a while, but am just now posting since I am looking to apply to MFE programs this upcoming cycle. I am looking for some advice on how competitive my application is for top programs, to better set my expectations. Thanks in advance!

Background:
American
T25 US University - Mathematics Undergrad - ~3.6 GPA - Class of 2022
Currently working at a very prominent financial services company, doing data analytics-type work. Will have around 2 years of work experience by MFE enrollment.
GRE - Q166 V155 (First Attempt) -> Will be retaking to try for Q168+

Somewhat Relevant Courses taken:
Calc 1 - A
Calc 2 - A
Calc 3 - B+
Differential Equations - B+
Advanced course in Differential Equations - A-
Probability - A-
Introductory Programming in Python - A-
Data Science (Statistics course, taught using R) - A
Linear Algebra - B
Real Analysis - C+ (The one bad grade on my transcript)
Optimization with Applications in Machine Learning - B+
Textual Analysis in R - A

- A few other advanced mathematics courses but not necessarily relevant (ex. number theory, non-euclidean geometry)
- Proficient in Python and R

Target Schools:
Berkeley MFE
Columbia MFE
Cornell MFE
NYU MFE
UCLA MFE
UChicago
Georgia Tech
NC State
Rutgers

Advise Areas:
1. Am I being too ambitious to apply to the above programs? Do I realistically have a shot at any of them?
2. I do not currently have any coursework projects on my resume in the quant finance sector, are these common on competitive applicants' applications? And if so, how should I go about choosing a project to highlight my skills?
3. Being out of school for about 1.5 years, I am not as sharp on my advanced math as I once was. Are there good resources to use to study for MFE interviews? and what type of questions are asked in them?

Not ambitious enough. Apply to all top schools, you'll very likely get into at least one of Baruch, Berkeley, Princeton, or CMU, likely several. You have a very solid math background with good grades, went to a good school, work experience, and looks like programming experience.

The one bad grade is in a course most people don't even think about. I took Real Analysis, but never heard about it in admissions interviews, never came up in quant interviews, not even sure how many of my classmates took it. Get the GRE to 168+. Almost certainly you will go to a top 5.

Definitely include any research projects on your resume, it doesn't matter if it's quant finance IMO. Just something where you've worked with data and done a full project, where you understand everything you did.

For interviews, Heard on the Street and the Green Book will be your friends.

Feel free to message me to talk more!

Edit: Maybe others will think your grades are not good enough, I am not 100% sure but I think they are.

Not ambitious enough. Apply to all top schools, you'll very likely get into at least one of Baruch, Berkeley, Princeton, or CMU, likely several. You have a very solid math background with good grades, went to a good school, work experience, and looks like programming experience.

The one bad grade is in a course most people don't even think about. I took Real Analysis, but never heard about it in admissions interviews, never came up in quant interviews, not even sure how many of my classmates took it. Get the GRE to 168+. Almost certainly you will go to a top 5.

Definitely include any research projects on your resume, it doesn't matter if it's quant finance IMO. Just something where you've worked with data and done a full project, where you understand everything you did.

For interviews, Heard on the Street and the Green Book will be your friends.

Feel free to message me to talk more!

Edit: Maybe others will think your grades are not good enough, I am not 100% sure but I think they are.
Thank you for the feedback and advise!

The fact that you are an American is already a plus. When incoming MFE cohort in many programs is comprised of 95% students from one country, a desire to have a more diversified student body will play in your favor.
This is a shoutout to all members here who are currently undergraduate in the US and a domestic student, please do not be afraid to apply to the top programs. Do not let the profiles scare you. You have a better chance than you realize, provided you have all the pre-requisites.

Anecdotally, in a GS technical 1/10 of the questions was upper level Real analysis. But I've never seen any other analysis questions.
So it is possible, but very unlikely.

Back