• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE for a job in structuring?

Hello all,

I'm 24 years old.

I currently work as an assistant portfolio manager at a novice quant hedgefund (basically factor exploration/investing).

I have a degree in finance from a non-target.

After 2 years of working at an investment management firm managing $40m, I am bored.

I feel that I have developed a lot of knowledge, however I am not passionate about figuring out how to outperform the market.

One area of finance that I always wanted to look into was structuring/market risk either at an investment bank or a large corporation in need of derivatives expertise.

What would be the optimal educational background for one these roles?

I know someone who went to a top MFE and then got a job as a structurer.

Most people that I know are not passionate about their jobs in finance. Not sure why you grouped structuring and market risk together, but the most frequent hires in structuring are still MBAs.

What I ment by market risk is I would want to:

work for a corporation who is looking to hedge certain market exposures
create an optimal hedging solution
go to an IB to implement such solution

I guess that position might not even be available in a corporation.
It sounds like the corporation would just go straight to the bank to come up with a hedging solution

Back