• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE in UK with 2:2 in BEng

Hi
I have achieved lower second class BEng in Telecommunications & Computer Network Engineering (completed in 2008) so my mathematics is very week at this stage.
Is there any way I could get into one of the top MFE programmes in UK ? such as the ones in Imperial, Cass etc.
They usually require 2:1 so I was wondering if there is any alternate to this ? Could I take some courses in mathematics before I apply to these programmes ? Or I just dont stand a chance at all with my 2:2 ?

For now, the only possibility(in London) I see in Birkbeck MSc Mathematical Finance but I am seriously skeptical about reputation of this ? Any comment on Birkbeck will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

honestly, just look up birbeck graduates on linkedin and try to figure out where they are working right now.
The top UK programs are just too competitive for you to be admitted with a 2:2 unless you get a job in quantitative finance and you do well: It could compensate for your grades.
The thing is they require 2:1 but this is the minimum. I'm not sure they publish admission statistics, but I'm almost certain most people admitted without work experience have 1st class undegraduate degrees.

Think hard about the value of the birbeck degree: it's not cheap and it doesn't have the brand name of imperial/oxbridge/lse/warwick etc...

Back