• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Profile Evaluation

Hello everyone, I've been an avid reader of this forum and I'm reaching out for guidance on my MFE applications.

Background:
  • Education: B. Tech in Computer Engineering | MBA in Technology Management | CGPA 2.98/4.00 (84% in all relevant subjects)
  • GRE: 166Q, 156V (Planning to retake and improve Quant)
  • Relevant Courses:
    • Calculus 1 (C), Calculus 2 (A), Calculus 3 (A)
    • Linear Algebra 1 (C), Linear Algebra 2 (A)
    • Differential Equations (B), Probability (A)
    • Stats and Data Science
    • Programming in Python and C++
  • Programming Skills: Proficient in Python; Familiar with C++ (Good grades in programming labs in Uni)
  • Work Experience:
    • 4 Years in Top UK Investment Bank: 2 years doing Exotic Option Pricing
    • 4 month experience of Data Science Internship for a startup (Python and Tableau)
    • 4 months Full Time Work Ex in Data Warehousing and Mining for a top US Insurance Software Company
    • 2 Months DevOps internship in Python
  • Coursework Projects:
    • Stock Market Prediction using ML: Graded 3.75/4 by University
    • Research Project on IoT for Food Wastage: Graded 3.25/4 by University
    • Design Thinking Project
  • Community Involvement and Leadership role: Vice President for a Non-Profit Org in College (Internationally recognized) with various certificates
Target Schools:
  • Baruch
  • Berkeley
  • Chicago
  • CMU
  • Columbia MFE
  • Cornell
  • MIT
  • NYU Courant
  • Princeton
  • Stanford

Concerns:
  1. Based on my academic background and work experience, is my application competitive for the listed programs?
  2. I also plan on take Pre-MFE courses to strengthen my Academics. Would that be needed given my strong Work Ex?
  3. My grades are subpar, but it was a 5 year course and my grades in the last year have been 3.54 and 3.88/4. My scores in relevant maths, programming and analytics courses have been at 84%. Will schools still view this negatively?
  4. Should I retake GRE? I do have the luxury of time.
  5. Should I look for professional certificates?
  6. What gaps exist in my profile, and how might I address these to bolster my application?
  7. Are there other reputable schools I should also consider for my application?
Appreciate any insights. Thanks

Last edited:
Following up here if someone could find some of their precious time to lend? Thanks!

I think that your profile is decent, but I do think for some of the upper tier schools in particular: Princeton, Stanford, CMU, etc. you need a stronger GRE score or/and GPA as your stats are significantly below their averages. The pre-mfe courses might help in that regard for some programs.

Additionally, I would recommend doing whatever you can to do as well as possible on the math assessments for Princeton and Baruch if those are your goal programs.

Lastly, I would recommend getting at least one very strong academic letter of recommendation regardless of where you apply. As well a strong professional letter. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes I will be retaking the GRE. I also plan to take the grades MOOC by MITx on Mathematical Finance and C++ from Baruch to help my profile further. I do have a strong academic and professional LOR safe with me right now.
I wonder if there's more that I can do at my end though.

Back