• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MFE program at Stevens Institute of Technology

For those of you who are seeking information about the MFE program at Stevens Institute of Technology, take a look at the following websites:

SIT has a FE program and can compete with the other FE program offer by many prestigious University here in U.S.
http://www.stevens.edu/sit/graduate/financial_engineering.cfm

SIT will help you to find, prepare for and obtain professional employment and paid internships.
http://www.stevens.edu/sit/admissions/careers/index.cfm

Stevens Institute of Technology also ranks #5 in the United States among "Best Engineering Colleges By Salary Potential"
http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2013/engineering-schools

SIT work closely with Goldman Sachs which is the most powerful Investment Bank in the world.
http://www.stevens.edu/news/content...man-sachs-technology-and-internal-audit-group

If you have questions, feel free to ask. :)

SIT work closely with Goldman Sachs which is the most powerful Investment Bank in the world.

What makes you say that about GS?

Also I would love to know some employment statistics for past graduates since you are offering information?

Are you one of the staff of the program?
OP got admitted into the program and was seeking info few days ago.
I got admitted to pursue a Master study in Financial Engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology too. Please guys, I want your opinion about Stevens Institute of Technology. Is it y good University? Do you know someone who got a MFE from S.I.T?
Some of them did not graduate from the MFE program. And internal audit is not exactly something you would need an MFE degree for.

My advice when it comes to these MFE programs and their career services is that the good programs usually have their own personel to take care of the internship/full-time placement. If a program refers you to the university general career services office, it's often a negative sign.

OP got admitted into the program and was seeking info few days ago.

Some of them did not graduate from the MFE program. And internal audit is not exactly something you would need an MFE degree for.

My advice when it comes to these MFE programs and their career services is that the good programs usually have their own personel to take care of the internship/full-time placement. If a program refers you to the university general career services office, it's often a negative sign.

Yes, I'm a master student and I will get my master degree in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics in June 2013. Yeah, I was asking you if I have a chance to be accepted to pursue a PhD study in Mathematical Finance if I have a Master in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics but you didn't want to answer me. I don't know why. I have enough information that I wanna share about the MFE program at SIT. What's wrong with that? A lot of people in this community seem to not have any information about SIT so I wanna fix that.

Yeah, I was asking if I can a PhD in Mathematical Finance if I studied Theoretical Physics but you didn't want to answer me.
That's really a question for the specific program you want to do. If they'll let you in, they'll let you in. One of my friends is doing a Neuroscience Ph. D. at Columbia, and his undergrad was in economics.

you didn't want to answer me. I don't know why. I have enough information that I wanna share about the MFE program at SIT. What's wrong with that? A lot of people in this community seem to not have any information about SIT so I wanna fix that.
I only answer if I have something useful to say.
It's good to share info about the programs that help students make a better decision. That's why this site exists.
That said, what you gather is just a collection of general links that have little relevance to the Stevens MFE program.

A few questions to ask yourself.
Do you know about the profiles of the students? Do you know how applicants they receive, admit and enroll in each of the last 5 years?
Same thing for job profiles/placement of their graduates. Salary, location, etc.
To get a good idea of some of the more detailed info available at other MFE programs, take a look at Baruch, UCB, UCLA, CMU, etc.

That's really a question for the specific program you want to do. If they'll let you in, they'll let you in. One of my friends is doing a Neuroscience Ph. D. at Columbia, and his undergrad was in economics.

So, are you saying that any top school to which I plan to apply will play randomly about accepting me or not without matching my field and specialty with the program to which I'm applying?

So, are you saying that any top school to which I plan to apply will play randomly about accepting me or not without matching my field and specialty with the program to which I'm applying?
... huh?

What I'm saying is get in touch with the specific programs you want to apply to.

Ok, I will do that. I sure my specialization modules that I took during my master will be useful for me when doin my PhD in Mathematical Finance. Those specialization modules are:

Stochastic Processes
The module covers the following topics: Weak convergence, compactness criteria, Markov processes: recurrence and transience, harmonic functions, stationary processes, ergodic theorem for Markov chains, stochastic processes in continuous time: renewal processes, Poisson process, Levy processes, Brownian motion, Donsker's invariance principle, Martingales and stopping times in continuous time, stochastic integral with Brownian motion as integrator, Ito formula. Students learn to construct mathematical models and to analyze complex random phenomena, especially with time dependencies.

Probability Theory
The module discusses supplements to measure theory, Borel-Cantelli, 0-1-law, additions to the laws of large numbers and to the central limit theorem, large deviations, law of iterated logarithm, conditional expectations and stochastic kernels, martingales, limit theorems. The module conveys familiarity with the measure theoretic construction of probability theory and the fundamental limit theorems as well as the ability to understand advanced topics in stochastics.

Stochastic Integration and Stochastic Differential Equations
The module covers the following topics: Doob inequalities, Doob-Meyer decomposition in continuous time, quadratic variation and covariation, Ito isometry and stochastic integral with semimartingales as integrator, Ito formula in the general case, Stratonovich integral, Ito calculus, stochastic treatment of parabolic and elliptic PDEs, Levy's theorem, random time changes in stochastic integrals. Further topics are change of measure: Girsanov's theorem, white noise, stochastic differential equations: existence and uniqueness of strong solutions, weak solutions. The module conveys familiarity with the methods of modern stochastic analysis, especially in the analysis of stochastic phenomena in continuous time.

Stochastic Processes in Physics and Biology
The module covers the following topics: Markov chains and population genetics, branching processes, continuous time Markov processes and molecular motors, gene regulation, rate equations, Master equation and Fokker-Planck equation, Kramers-Moyal expansion, Smoluchowski equation, phase separation kinetics, Langevin equations and non-equilibrium growth processes, diffusion limited aggregation, directed percolation, diffusion-reaction models, linear response theory, Onsager relations, mode-coupling theory and glass transition. The module aims to convey fundamental abilities in modeling and analyzing complex biological systems, using the methods of physics.

Soft Condensed Matter Physics and Critical Phenomena
The module covers the following topics: Mean-field theory, field theories, critical phenomena and renormalization group, generalized elasticity (XY model, liquid crystals, gels), hydrodynamics, topological defects, walls, kinks and solitions, response theory and nonequilibrium thermodynamics. The module aims to convey a fundamental understanding the collective phenomena occurring in macroscopic particle systems in condensed matter.

Mathematical Quantum Mechanics
This course introduces the basic elements of mathematical quantum mechanics. First the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and the measurement process (EPR-paradox and Bell inequality) and the mathematical basics of unbounded and self-adjoint operators (domain of definition, graphs, adjoints, spectrum, criteria for self-adjointness, spectral theorem, quadratic forms) will be discussed. then Coulomb-Schrödinger operators, the essential spectrum, invariance under compact perturbations and the minimax principle will be presented. This is followed by elements of the theory of many-particle systems (density functional theory, second quantization, fundamentals of quantum field theory) and its applications (e.g. Hartree-Fock approximation, superconductivity and superfluidity). At the end the basics of scattering theory (one-particle problems, the existence of wave operators) will be discussed.

Mathematical Statistical Mechanics
The module covers the following topics: Gibbs measures: DLR conditions, existence, uniqueness (Dobrushin's theorem), phase transitions, absence of spontaneous symmetry breaking in two dimensions. Ising model: high temperature phase, Peierls argument, cluster expansion, Fortuin-Kasteleyn representation, FKG inequality, spontaneous symmetry breaking in continuous models. Non-equilibrium model systems: Exclusion processes, matrix product ansatz, interacting particle systems. The main goal of this module is to acquire a deeper mathematical and physical understanding of phase transitions and collective phenomena that occur in macroscopic interacting particle systems.

Hi, I am applying for the MFE program at Stevens Institute of Technology and get in trouble in a little technical program. In online application I could hardly find the place to upload my PS and CV. I forwarded my question to secretary of the program and received no reply. Could you help me out with this?

Hi, I am applying for the MFE program at Stevens Institute of Technology and get in trouble in a little technical program. In online application I could hardly find the place to upload my PS and CV. I forwarded my question to secretary of the program and received no reply. Could you help me out with this?

Either the problem is with you or the program. If the first, I'd try and figure it out yourself. If the second, you don't want to apply to them.

Back