• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Program based on profile

Hello everyone!

Could you please tell me if there is any decent program in MFE where I could be accepted with this profile:
Degree: BA in Econ senior year, History minor
CGPA: 3.74/4.00
IELTS: 7.5 (taking another test in November)
GRE: 162 Quant, 158 Verbal, 4 AWA
Math background: Calc I, taking Calc II and Linear Algebra, next term can take Probability, Calc III, Introduction to differential equations, Econometrics II, Fundamentals of Programming (most probably Java). (no more than 4 out of these 5)
No prior knowledge of programming language (expect for HTML and beginner Python).
No work experience in field.

Are there any good MFE programs in US/Canada that will consider my application? Preferably, program should be more than a year long.

You need a higher GRE Q. Keep in mind that many of the applicants to top programs will have close to a perfect score (170).

You need a higher GRE Q. Keep in mind that many of the applicants to top programs will have close to a perfect score (170).
Unfortunately, I do not have time for another GRE before deadlines. Does it mean that given this score my chances are low?

You'll be compared with others who often have financial work experience and a higher GRE, so your chances are lower. It doesn't mean you will get rejected everywhere because of your GRE score, but if the GRE ends up being the tiebreaker between you and another applicant with an equivalent profile, you will likely lose out.

Hello everyone!

Could you please tell me if there is any decent program in MFE where I could be accepted with this profile:
Degree: BA in Econ senior year, History minor
CGPA: 3.74/4.00
IELTS: 7.5 (taking another test in November)
GRE: 162 Quant, 158 Verbal, 4 AWA
Math background: Calc I, taking Calc II and Linear Algebra, next term can take Probability, Calc III, Introduction to differential equations, Econometrics II, Fundamentals of Programming (most probably Java). (no more than 4 out of these 5)
No prior knowledge of programming language (expect for HTML and beginner Python).
No work experience in field.

Are there any good MFE programs in US/Canada that will consider my application? Preferably, program should be more than a year long.

Definitely take Calc II, Linear Algebra, Calc III (Liner Algebra alongside Calc III are nice complementary classes, both deal with vectors) and I believe you would need at least Calc III to touch ODEs. Probability - I would only take this if it is calculus-based, which usually requires Calc III as a pre-req. Regular probability/stats is easily self-taught if you find a good textbook, but something like moment generating functions aren't concepts that are easily grasped.

Don't bother with programming - fundamentals are easily self-taught if you're motivated enough. Java/Oracle actually has some kind of tutorial system where they talk about things such as data types, methods, classes, etc. that is pretty thorough and I feel can replace a Fundamentals class like you mention. Once you know one language, you can figure out the rest.

I don't see Econometrics II being more valuable than the mathematics courses, most of the ones which you listed are essential to MFE programs.

Edit:
The only trouble I see is that Calc III requires Calc II as a pre-req (really need to know your derivatives/integrals and how to set them up, plus Taylor Series is an invaluable tool from Calc II)

Edit:
The only trouble I see is that Calc III requires Calc II as a pre-req (really need to know your derivatives/integrals and how to set them up, plus Taylor Series is an invaluable tool from Calc II)

I'm taking Calc II and Linear Algebra, so prerequisites for Calc III will be fulfilled. I was mainly curious whether I have a chance applying to MFE programs with this profile. Based on earlier responses, the chances are quite low.

I'm taking Calc II and Linear Algebra, so prerequisites for Calc III will be fulfilled. I was mainly curious whether I have a chance applying to MFE programs with this profile. Based on earlier responses, the chances are quite low.

Probability, Calc III, Introduction to differential equations

Take these then. Like I said previously, I don't know anything about econometrics, but if it involves mathematical modeling it will be useful. Intro to Fundamental Programming will cover the absolute basics - what is a method, what is a class, syntax, loops, etc. as well as how to design a program. For example, if I asked you to use a random number generator to simulate dice rolls and show the results, how would you go about doing so?

As in the above post, if its a Java class, you can probably substitute this class with the tutorials in the Java Tutorials offered by Oracle:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Just look at the sections under
Trails Covering the Basics

and if you are familiar with python (another object-oriented programming language) then it should come intuitively. Java is predominantly taught in place of C/C++ because it is simpler to understand the concepts of object-oriented programming using Java than C/C++. When you pursue a CS degree, you are learning about concepts of objected-oriented programming -objects and classes, inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation, abstraction - and learning about these is concepts is easier through Java than C/C++. EDIT: SEE C S's POST A FEW DOWN However, C/C++ is a far superior programming language (or so I've heard)

Last edited:
Java's actually more confusing to learn if you aren't that familiar with OOP. Variables are basically pointers, and pointers are very confusing for beginning programmers (canonical example: equals method versus ==). From learning OOP standpoint, concepts like immutability and defensive copying are an extra burden for beginners when they are just trying to understand basic encapsulation.

From a pedagogical viewpoint, C++ is more straightforward. std is far superior to Java collections IMO. Features like references and const enforce safety in a natural way. Casting is also better, and tell me that's not something that is gonna bite beginners. It's just that when you actually write a major application, you'll find that the memory and exception handling requires a lot more care than in Java.

Java's actually more confusing to learn if you aren't that familiar with OOP. Variables are basically pointers, and pointers are very confusing for beginning programmers (canonical example: equals method versus ==). From learning OOP standpoint, concepts like immutability and defensive copying are an extra burden for beginners when they are just trying to understand basic encapsulation.

From a pedagogical viewpoint, C++ is more straightforward. std is far superior to Java collections IMO. Features like references and const enforce safety in a natural way. Casting is also better, and tell me that's not something that is gonna bite beginners. It's just that when you actually write a major application, you'll find that the memory and exception handling requires a lot more care than in Java.

tl;dr Listen to C S on this, I've only used Java extensively, I'm new to C/C++

First, I agree with C S's post. There were things I didn't even think about when making my recommendation. I never found the concepts difficult to understand, but this might not be the case for everyone.

I assume you're referring to .equals()? Yes, it is strange if you don't understand the underlying workings of both the method .equals() and == (== checks if both objects point to the same memory location, .equals() evaluates compares the values of the object, so for example, I can check 1 == 1, but I cannot (correctly) check if the variable String type myString == Bananas, I'd have to use myString.equals(Bananas), or something, its been a while ).

I started with Java, the reasoning being from my professors that error handling is less confusing - Java might throw something like "error: null pointer exception" but C++ will throw a giant wall of text at you (maybe this depends on the IDE?). After seeing C++, I realized I don't like Java, since there's a lot of room for error in Java that, as C S explains, C++ sort of safeguards you against.

Casting...I agree with. In Java, its basically telling the compiler "trust me" which is typically a bad thing for beginners. There's also the whole int data type division problem, and a lot of "exceptions to the rule" you have to learn through Java, and even sometimes Java will typecast for you, which I imagine isn't experienced in C++.

I haven't written any major programs, so definitely take C S's opinion on this - my compsci experience only comes from classes (the kind you take at a university, not the programming ones). Switching from Java to C/C++ can also be a pain - at my university, you're fed Java for 2 years, then after your Data Structures I course, you are thrown into C/C++ for Data Structures II while being expected to write more complex code than you are used to in a language you aren't familiar with.

tl;dr ... After seeing C++, I realized I don't like Java, since there's a lot of room for error in Java that, as C S explains, C++ sort of safeguards you against.

In general it's the other way around (i am a CS undergrad), especially when it comes to pointer arri.thmetic

Programming is Java is like learning to drive a car whereas programing in C is like learning to build one. I think C/C++ are absolutely great to learn because they teach you so much about what is going on behind the scenes. But in terms of simplicity alone, Java is up there with python

Back