• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

I think CFA gives advantage. Depends on the level passed also. As for the experience, in some applications, it is mandatory to have included the confirmation of experience. So asset management can help but could be of little value since in overall evaluation it is rarely assessed - it might simply be a MUST. Not sure for particular universities though.

Best
thanks tsotne!
that was helpful! I am trying to assess how much value can i add to my application if I postpone the MFE for one year!
In this year, I would state on my application that I am a CFA level 3 candidate which i will actually get before the start of the program (i.e. June 2012). At the same time, I would go to the master with 2 years and a half of experience in portfolio management instead of 1 and a half!
I mean that's the minimum improvement! I am thinking of studying some calculus as well since i have been out of uni since 2008 and sharpening my C++ skills and making sure to mention that in the SOP!
I was wondering whether GRE subject Math can also add value in a sense that it means you have the required math skills for example.
I'm actually aiming for the hot ones like Princeton and UCB!
What are your views regarding postponing tsotne! Can one year make that difference (if spent correctly) ?

thanks tsotne!
that was helpful! I am trying to assess how much value can i add to my application if I postpone the MFE for one year!
In this year, I would state on my application that I am a CFA level 3 candidate which i will actually get before the start of the program (i.e. June 2012). At the same time, I would go to the master with 2 years and a half of experience in portfolio management instead of 1 and a half!
I mean that's the minimum improvement! I am thinking of studying some calculus as well since i have been out of uni since 2008 and sharpening my C++ skills and making sure to mention that in the SOP!
I was wondering whether GRE subject Math can also add value in a sense that it means you have the required math skills for example.
I'm actually aiming for the hot ones like Princeton and UCB!
What are your views regarding postponing tsotne! Can one year make that difference (if spent correctly) ?

As for the last question about postponing, it depends on your expectation of the overall improvement in application strength. If you can add significant proper values to your application then it's not uncommon to postpone for one year. GRE Q is one of the most important factors when applying for MFE. Try to get high score in GRE Q. Also GPA is kinda important when having to balance your bad GRE scores (not the case with you of course, just generally speaking). It's good you know C++, it can be of huge value also since MFEs concentrate on programming and for admission purposes C++ if often mandatory to have stated in an application. I didn't completely understood this:
...and sharpening my C++ skills and making sure to mention that in the SOP!

Have you learned C++ on your own? If yes then you'll have to think about the way how to mention it in the application. Since certification problems for programming are sometimes one of the main concerns when applying. If you have the confirmation paper (whether from university or independent certification program(s)) then it's ok.

Good Luck

CFA is always valued but more so by the soft-quant programs and less so by the hardcore quant programs. If you have a choice of how best to spend the next four months to improve your profile, my advice is not to study night and day on nuances of accounting that is required to pass CFA L1. That time is better used to improve you programming skills, work on your essays and get some relevant internship. UCB MFE asks some of their applicants to pass that exam as part of conditional offer.

Hi all!
I will be applying for master's degrees for the fall 2012 intake. I've read a lot of these profile evaluations and think I have a decent view of where I'm standing. I realize that all of these are probably a stretch but I have narrowed the programs down since I don't think it would be worth the money otherwise.

The programs I'm considering are:
Columbia MSOR
Stanford MS&E
MIT MFin
Berkeley IEOR
LSE Mfin
HEC Paris Mfin

My profile:
BSc in Industrial Engineering and Management with specialization in financial mathematics at one of Sweden's top technical universities, will have completed one year of my two-year master's by fall 2012. Will also have completed three months of non-degree coursework at UCSD.
GPA: 4.5/5.0
GRE: 800Q, 520V, 4.0 AWA
TOEFL: Yet to take

Two summers as retail banking intern, one summer as equity research intern at one of the biggest nordic banks. Started a small company that I've been running while at school. Other very good entrepreneurship related ECs.
What do you think of my chances?

Thanks in advance!

Have you learned C++ on your own?

Lol not really! I graduated with a Bachelor in Computer and communications Engineering from one of the supposedly best schools in the middle east if not the best (American University of Beirut). I meant by sharpening just like to practice some coding cuz i havent done that for a while and i was wondering whether some coding during this year might seem good!

As for GRE, I did the exam end of november , a couple of days before my CFA level 1 exam, for which i started studying mid october. Actually, I just went to sit for the GRE(just as a prerequisite) without knowing anything about it except that I heard I need to be fast! Unfortunately, I went too fast at the beginning of the quantitative section, missed on two LEVEL 3 questions (number 3 and number 5) and i got 780. Disappointing but if I would get an 800 anyday. (not sure whether it makes difference)

CFA is always valued but more so by the soft-quant programs and less so by the hardcore quant programs.
Well it was worth it to skip preparing for GRE as I passed easily the CFA level 1. Now, I am sitting for Level 2 in june and then level 3 next june! Our of the top ones, What programs can we classify as soft ones? You think Princeton and MIT master of finance for example?

Anyway, I didn't get that bad results so far, accepted by BU, and waitlisted by both Columbia MFE and Columbia MFIN and thats it! Yet to hear from Chicago.
Still I'm considering postponing even if I get one of them.
What do you think Andy!?
I was also thinking that I can sit for FRM part 1 and 2 together in November! Does anybody knows if it helps?

Appreciate your feedback...

@ICQuant
My experience has been that the CFA L1 does not help as much as everyone seems to believe. Many people use L1 to boost their profile without any intention to go all the way to gain the charter. That defeats the whole purpose and is not a wise use of several months time, in my opinion.
Don't bother with FRM. It's not going to help much, if any. Let get the basis down first.
Take the GRE and do good on it. I'll give you some number to shoot for 500V, 800Q, 4.5 AWA
If you do better than that, it's a plus.

Then get some coding under your belt. Take C++ from your local college. Work the books, write some pricing code.

Lol not really! I graduated with a Bachelor in Computer and communications Engineering from one of the supposedly best schools in the middle east if not the best (American University of Beirut). I meant by sharpening just like to practice some coding cuz i havent done that for a while and i was wondering whether some coding during this year might seem good!

As for GRE, I did the exam end of november , a couple of days before my CFA level 1 exam, for which i started studying mid october. Actually, I just went to sit for the GRE(just as a prerequisite) without knowing anything about it except that I heard I need to be fast! Unfortunately, I went too fast at the beginning of the quantitative section, missed on two LEVEL 3 questions (number 3 and number 5) and i got 780. Disappointing but if I would get an 800 anyday. (not sure whether it makes difference)

Well it was worth it to skip preparing for GRE as I passed easily the CFA level 1. Now, I am sitting for Level 2 in june and then level 3 next june! Our of the top ones, What programs can we classify as soft ones? You think Princeton and MIT master of finance for example?

Anyway, I didn't get that bad results so far, accepted by BU, and waitlisted by both Columbia MFE and Columbia MFIN and thats it! Yet to hear from Chicago.
Still I'm considering postponing even if I get one of them.
What do you think Andy!?
I was also thinking that I can sit for FRM part 1 and 2 together in November! Does anybody knows if it helps?

Appreciate your feedback...
It's good to see a fellow AUB alum in here. When did you graduate?
Good luck in your applications.

First, I would like to say hello to everyone since this is my first post.

Second, based on my course work below do I have a chance of being accepted into a quant school?
Assume I score in the 80th percentile on the GRE and GMAT. Please list any schools that you think I should look at.

Major: Engineering Physics
Minor: Applied and Computational Mathematics
GPA 3.18

TECHNICAL COURSE WORK:
Math Courses:
Calc 1-3
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Mathematical Physics
Partial Differential Equations
Complex Variables
Analysis
Graduate Mathematical Physics

Physics Courses:
Physics 1-2 (Calc Based of course)
Modern Physics
Thermal & Particle Physics
Intermediate Mechanice
Intermediate Electrodynamics
Quantum Mechanics
Ad Lab 1-2
Graduate Classical Mechanics

Engineering
Digital Circuits
Analogue Circuits
Heat Transfer
Engineering Thermodynamics

Computational and Research Experience
- Taken a course in scientific computing.
- Participated in NSF grant (over $3000) sponsored research over the summer.
Utilized matlab, python, and mathematica for heavy computational project.

Second, based on my course work below do I have a chance of being accepted into a quant school?
Assume I score in the 80th percentile on the GRE and GMAT. Please list any schools that you think I should look at.

You should not ask quantnet members where to apply, but ask yourself where you want to be next year. When you are admitted into a program you have chosen, you can not be disappointed since you have reached your own goals. So where do you want to go next year?

Thank
You should not ask quantnet members where to apply, but ask yourself where you want to be next year. When you are admitted into a program you have chosen, you can not be disappointed since you have reached your own goals. So where do you want to go next year?

Thank you for the response.
I just want to be realistic. But ideally I would like to go to University of Michigan, Chicago, or Berkeley, a top ten school.
But I fear that I would not make a competitive applicant.

I do not know much about what it takes to get admission to the best programs.

I think Berkeley is one of the best and is really hard to get in. To tell you the truth I did not even apply. But you should give it a try if you want to go there. Just remember that if you want to work in NYC it is better to have a masters program from there. Have you thought about masters program @Columbia @CMU @NYU @Baruch@NYU-poly?

I'll try again; anyone care to take a look at my profile in post #1032? Input would be much appreciated! Thanks

I'll try again; anyone care to take a look at my profile in post #1032? Input would be much appreciated! Thanks
You said:
The programs I'm considering are:
Columbia MSOR
Stanford MS&E
MIT MFin
Berkeley IEOR
LSE Mfin
HEC Paris Mfin

This is as all over the place as it gets, what do you want to do and where?

Although I might want to work in one of these places, I necessarily don't want to get a degree solely to get a job in the regional market. What interests me the most is VC and entrepreneurship, and therfore I would look for a job within a related industry.

What I'm after is:
1. a degree with a good brand name that will be regocnized more or less anywhere in addition to my Swedish degree
2. a first class educational experience
3. a great experience living abroad

I know this might not be the regular set of goals at quantnet, but... How would you gauge my chances for admission to the mentioned programmes?

I can't comment on HEC, LSE as they are not US based programs.
For brand names, Columbia, Stanford, MIT are known worldwide, specially the later two.
For college town living, you can't go wrong with MIT, Berkeley.
For weather, go to Berkeley and Stanford.
And lastly, if you want to do entrepreneurship, go to Stanford to have a chance to meet future startup owners. There are many opportunities to meet with potentials VCs in Stanford as it's where Silicon Valley is.
http://www.stanford.edu/~phartke/activities.htm

Major: Engineering Physics
Minor: Applied and Computational Mathematics
GPA 3.18

TECHNICAL COURSE WORK:
Math Courses:
Calc 1-3
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Mathematical Physics
Partial Differential Equations
Complex Variables
Analysis
Graduate Mathematical Physics

Physics Courses:
Physics 1-2 (Calc Based of course)
Modern Physics
Thermal & Particle Physics
Intermediate Mechanice
Intermediate Electrodynamics
Quantum Mechanics
Ad Lab 1-2
Graduate Classical Mechanics

Engineering
Digital Circuits
Analogue Circuits
Heat Transfer
Engineering Thermodynamics

Computational and Research Experience
- Taken a course in scientific computing.
- Participated in NSF grant (over $3000) sponsored research over the summer.
Utilized matlab, python, and mathematica for heavy computational project.

Enigma,

Let me be honest. Your biggest weakness is your GPA. Physics and Engineering grades are less important. What was your Math course GPA ? if it is less than 3.5 (even < 3.7) it is a problem especially for the top programs like Princeton, Stanford, Columbia, NYU and maybe for Berkeley as well. This is the case even if you have very good related work experience.

The 780+ GRE Q score is just one of the essential requirements. The biggest factor is yes, you guessed it right, the quality, rigor of the Mathematics coursework and the applicant's grades in it. Think of it as different layers and Groups

Group A factors (weight 50%)
---------------------------------

1) Number of Math classes (prefer Grad level to differentiate from the crowd)
2) Rigor of the Math coursework. Every engineering undergrad will have good dosage of Math classes like Calculus 1,2,3. But someone with a Mathematics major would have more rigorous curriculum that would include Linear Algebra (more rigorous than applied Linear Algebra taught in engineering),Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, PDE (theoretical), Numerical Analysis (not Numerical Methods), Probability and Stochastic Processes, Mathematical Statistics etc.
Brand name of institution for the Math classes is also very important. Look at the current student profiles at Princeton, Berkeley, NYU and you will get the idea. Stanford and Columbia would be more or less the same.
3) For those with good amount of work experience, time since graduation (reflecting the "rusty" Mathematics knowledge) is a significant factor. Applicants should be able to prove their current ability in Mathematics.

Stanford asks the applicants to include a sheet of Mathematics courses completed with grades and detailed descriptions
Columbia has a separate section as part of the application where applicants have to enter relevant Math Class Name, year taken and the grade obtained
This also helps with Berkeley, NYU applications

Group B factors (weight 30%)

Personal Essays and Letters of Recommendation
These should reflect the applicants strengths etc...you know the deal here

Group C factors (weight 15%)

Work experience: Each year, applicants with better and more marketable work experience ( jazzy titles, big IB or HF employers) are appearing. Most of them already have some sort of quant sounding experience. Anyways, if the employer name is good and there is a good letter from one's manager, rest of job functions are not that important and also difficult to verify.

Group D factors (weight 5%)
Designations like CFA and other Finance Certifications (FRM, PRM usually don't count). Programs in Mathematics and Engineering departments don't give any weight to this category (although a future employer might, especially CFA). B-School programs like Berkeley do give some importance to CFA.

In all, things are becoming very competitive pre and post MFE program. Do a very honest self-assessment.

Even if people here do give your profile a thumbs-up, that doesn't mean anything as your chance of success will depend only on each institutions applicant pool and a little luck :)

Enigma,

Let me be honest. Your biggest weakness is your GPA. Physics and Engineering grades are less important. What was your Math course GPA ? if it is less than 3.5 (even < 3.7) it is a problem especially for the top programs like Princeton, Stanford, Columbia, NYU and maybe for Berkeley as well. This is the case even if you have very good related work experience.

The 780+ GRE Q score is just one of the essential requirements. The biggest factor is yes, you guessed it right, the quality, rigor of the Mathematics coursework and the applicant's grades in it. Think of it as different layers and Groups

Group A factors (weight 50%)

1) Number of Math classes (prefer Grad level to differentiate from the crowd)
2) Rigor of the Math coursework. Every engineering undergrad will have good dosage of Math classes like Calculus 1,2,3. But someone with a Mathematics major would have more rigorous curriculum that would include Linear Algebra (more rigorous than applied Linear Algebra taught in engineering),Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, PDE (theoretical), Numerical Analysis (not Numerical Methods), Probability and Stochastic Processes, Mathematical Statistics etc.
Brand name of institution for the Math classes is also very important. Look at the current student profiles at Princeton, Berkeley, NYU and you will get the idea. Stanford and Columbia would be more or less the same.
3) For those with good amount of work experience, time since graduation (reflecting the "rusty" Mathematics knowledge) is a significant factor. Applicants should be able to prove their current ability in Mathematics.

Stanford asks the applicants to include a sheet of Mathematics courses completed with grades and detailed descriptions
Columbia has a separate section as part of the application where applicants have to enter relevant Math Class Name, year taken and the grade obtained
This also helps with Berkeley, NYU applications

Group B factors (weight 30%)

Personal Essays and Letters of Recommendation
These should reflect the applicants strengths etc...you know the deal here

Group C factors (weight 15%)

Work experience: Each year, applicants with better and more marketable work experience ( jazzy titles, big IB or HF employers) are appearing. Most of them already have some sort of quant sounding experience. Anyways, if the employer name is good and there is a good letter from one's manager, rest of job functions are not that important and also difficult to verify.

Group D factors (weight 5%)
Designations like CFA and other Finance Certifications (FRM, PRM usually don't count). Programs in Mathematics and Engineering departments don't give any weight to this category (although a future employer might, especially CFA). B-School programs like Berkeley do give some importance to CFA.

In all, things are becoming very competitive pre and post MFE program. Do a very honest self-assessment.

Even if people here do give your profile a thumbs-up, that doesn't mean anything as your chance of success will depend only on each institutions applicant pool and a little luck :)

Thank you all for your responses. I value all of your honesty.
This is why I came to this forum. I need a no nonsense assessment of
if I got what it takes to get into a good quant school, no pats on the back. I can always fantasize
what schools I could go to, but I would be setting myself up for unrealistic expectations.
From the sounds of it, I shouldn't bother. There exist much more competitive applicants.
Thank you.

Back