• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

Hi All, could you please provide feedback on my profile:

Undergrad:
Bachelors+Masters in Statistics from Indian Statistical Institute
(top inst. in India for Math, Stat & Prob)

Successfully completed graduate level courses in Maths & Prob like:
Complex analysis, Functional Analysis, Measure Theoretic Probability, Advanced Probability, Graduate level Stochastic Processes (letter grade equivalents: B+, B, B-, B-, A)

Bachelors (64%), Masters (65%) - This is considered to be a good grade
(given the minimum passing grade is 35%)
Above 60% is First Division (eq. to an A in letter grade scale)

Projects:
- Implementation of Visual Cryptographic Schemes in C
- Reading project on Elliptic Curve Discrete Log problem arising in Cryptography
- Dissertation on Image Processing (MatLab)

Work ex:
- Credit Suisse, Model Validation Quant (1.5 yrs)
- HSBC, Retail Banking Analyst (3 yrs)

Others:
Certified FRM
GRE Q - 170, V - 153, AWA - 3
TOEFL - 105
Fortran, C, VBA, R, MatLab, base SAS

Applied/will apply to:
CMU MSCF (applied rnd 1)
Columbia MFE (applied)
Baruch MFE
UCB MFE (targeting rnd 2)

more realistic chances:
Columbia MAFN
Boston Math Fin
Toronto MMF

Thank you

Education -
Top State School, non-target
BA Economics, Minor in Applied Mathematics
3.22 overall, 3.6 major
CFA Level II candidate

Work Experience - Treasury manager in capital management at a top 5 corporate.

I have all the required math except probability (which I plan to take), however, I have sub-2.5 in Calc II and III ... which suspect is a deal breaker. On the flip-side, I do have much stronger grades in higher level applied math courses. These made heavy use of MATLAB which I am pretty competent in.

Differential Modeling - 3.8
Linear Algebra - 3.4
Scientific Computing - 3.7

And more quantitative finance courses -
Adv Financial Econ - 3.8
Econometrics - 3.3
Computational Finance - 3.8

I also have two courses in Java programming under my belt and work-experience with VBA.

Hypothetically, say I have strong recommendations, GRE scores, get a C++ cert and I ace a probability for MFE course to finish out my requirements, do I stand a chance at getting into a top 10 MFE program, including Princeton? If not, would it be worthwhile to try and get rid of the Calculus blemishes? I know this is a reach but I'd love to go in this direction as opposed to an MBA/CFA if it is at all realistic. My objective is to break into a NY trading role in something like structured products or exotics. Thanks.

Last edited:
GRE score V-154 Q-165 AWA-4.0
UG - Electronics Engineering, Mumbai University. 59%.
Translated by WES to 3.7 GPA

Had a semester each in C++ and JAVA.

What universities should I apply to (for MFE)?

Mid-Europe universitry (University of Ljubljana).
Program: financial mathematics, finished 2nd year.
Classes: Numerical methods, Financial maths, Analysis 1-3, Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Programming etc.
Ranked best in class with gpa 9.9 / 10.0.

Successful in national mathematical and logical competitions as junior (usually top 15, one 1st place).
Third place at national programming competition (qualified for international competition).
Software engineering intern during summer.

Considering applying Oxford MCF and Imperial MFE. Chances?

Mid-Europe universitry (University of Ljubljana).
Program: financial mathematics, finished 2nd year.
Classes: Numerical methods, Financial maths, Analysis 1-3, Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Programming etc.
Ranked best in class with gpa 9.9 / 10.0.

Successful in national mathematical and logical competitions as junior (usually top 15, one 1st place).
Third place at national programming competition (qualified for international competition).
Software engineering intern during summer.

Considering applying Oxford MCF and Imperial MFE. Chances?

Not sure about the chance because I haven't really heard about FE programs in Europe, but your profile seems to be perfect for MSFE.

If someone could evaluate my profile, I'd be very grateful.

I'd like to apply for an MFE program in the US. Currently I'm looking at Columbia and Berkely, but I'm not sure if I have a good chance on account of my lack of first-class honors.

I'm currently studying a BSc in Quantitative Finance at the National University of Singapore. Will probably graduate with second-upper class honors. GRE Verbal/Quant/Written of 166/168/5.5 or 96th percentile. I'm in the process of incorporating a student-managed fund with 6-digit AUM (waiting for the government to approve really) and held exco positions in finance interest groups in school. I've interned at one of the largest singapore-based hedge funds (which is small by Western standards) and at risk-management at a local bank.

Thank you very much!

Hello,

I am considering applying to top 10 American MFE programs, and Waterloo and U of Toronto programs in Canada.

Education:
B.E.Sc Computer Engineering (U of Western Ontario)
B.Sc Mathematics (U of Western Ontario)
M.Math Pure Mathematics (U of Waterloo)

Undergraduate GPA is 87%.
Undergraduate Gold Medal (highest average) in Math program.
GPA in math courses is over 90%.
Graduate GPA 83%

Work:
1.5 years as software developer (C++) since graduating. Implement algorithms for manufacturing industry.
Completed CFA level 1

Overall about 3 years C++ experience and lots of theoretical math courses taken (algebra, number theory, analysis)

Thanks.

Hi,

Undergrad engineering (ee) and master in physics with 3.3gpa in Asia (non top ranked).
Currently working in risk management/insurance portfolio for 2 years (non-life..stochastic/modeling).
CFA level 2 candidate.

What are my chances into MIT MFin? I like the flexibility of the program (of choosing your own subject/courses), but it seems like I have slim/no-chance of getting interview/admission since one need at least 3.8-9 ish gpa.
I would like to work in fixed income quant research, MIT brand name would help a lot too.
any suggestion/idea?

Hello,

Just wanted some feedback/advice on how I should approach the application process and when I should apply. I plan on applying to Financial Engineering/Mathematics programs to learn about the field, prepare myself for a career as a quant, and to access a better alumni network.

Here's some background information:

High School
Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering
Concentration: Electrical and Computer Engineering
Programming Languages: Assembly Language, Java, and C++

Undergraduate Studies
Currently in my second semester of junior year at a Top 20 US Undergraduate program for Mathematics.
Double Major: Mathematics and Economics
Overall GPA: 3.63 [Expecting a 3.7 by the end of my final year of studies]
GPA for Majors: 3.9
GRE: I'll be taking them for the first time in the Fall.

Internships
Summer 2012 - Worked at a multi-billion dollar software company. Worked with the Development team and used JavaScript and Perl.

Summer 2013 - Worked at a large bank known for its asset management and clearing services. Worked in the Project Management Division

Summer 2014 - Either risk management at a large clearing corporation or a "quant" role in the fixed income group at a buy-side firm.

Completed/Current Courses

Economics
Introduction to Microeconomics (A)
Introduction to Macroeconomics (A)
Intermediate Microeconomics (A)
Intermediate Macroeconomics (A)
Econometrics (A)
Financial Economics (A)
Money & Banking (Currently Taking)

Mathematics
Calculus I (A)
Calculus II (B+)
Calculus III (A)
Calculus IV (A)
Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning (B+) [This is an introduction to proofs class]
Introduction to Linear Algebra (A)
Dynamic Models in Biology (Currently Taking)
Advanced Calculus I (Currently Taking) [Proving Calculus I]
Partial Differential Equations (Currently Taking)
Mathematical Theory of Probability (Currently Taking)

Other Coursework
Introduction to Computer Science (B+) [Java Programming]

Planned Courses
Introduction to Mathematical Finance
Linear Algebra [Proving Linear Algebra]
Mathematical Theory of Statistics

Post-Undergraduate Plans
After I finish my degree, which will probably be next fall, I plan on applying to a philosophy program in India. If I get in, I will be in India for 2 years and I'll be applying to financial engineering/financial mathematics programs in my second year. If I don't get in to the philosophy program, I plan on applying financial engineering/mathematics programs after working for a year or two.

Can you give me some advice on how to approach applying in the second year of that philosophy program? Do you suggest I work a year or two and then apply, or do you think it would best for me to apply in my second year of the philosophy program?

The schools I would be applying to would be the following: CMU, Columbia, Princeton, Berkeley, MIT, Baruch, NYU-Poly, NYU, Cornell, UCLA, U of Chicago, Boston University, and Rutgers.

Hii Quants
Just a query on the admission offers and interview requests from those who have got an offer or interviews . Do I have to constantly keep checking the status of my applications(I mean interviews and admissions) on the website of the respective universities or they will be sending the same to our emails.

I'd recommend you keep checking your application page also (just to be safe). A lot of us did not get an email from Columbia regarding the interview.

Please evaluate my profile for Tpp MFE courses in USA
and what could be my best option?

I am looking top courses in MFE from USA
1. UCB Haas
2. NYU
3. Columbia
4. Bharuch
5. UCLA
6. CMU
7. Stanford

Before Undergraduation
• All India Rank of 47 out of 50,000 candidates in mathematics exam conducted by the Indian Statistical Institute
• All India Rank of 974 in IIT-JEE, 300,000 candidates appeared for exam
• All India Rank of 560 in AIEEE, 500,000 candidates appeared for exam

During Graduation
Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Batch of 2010, CGPA 7.41/10

Relevent course
1. CS 101 7/10
2. CEP Advance C++ , 10/10
2. Maths I 7/10
3. Math II 5/10 (can explain)
4. Coputation Math for Chem eng (10/10, includes MATLAB project)
5. Stocastic Process 9/10
6. Economics 7/10

Intership
Novartis, V&D :
Established an automated Quality Assurance data management system in MS Excel using VBA
Zeus Numeris
Did Monte Carlo Simulation Modelling for particles using stocastic processes
ONGC
Modelled flow of oil using a simulation software through cracked rocks

After Undergraduation

Finance Certification
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), USA (2011-2013)
o Cleared CFA level 3 exam, waiting for total relevant experience time period to receive charter
o Cleared all the 3 levels in first attempt
o secured more than 70% marks in 17 out of 20 topics in level 1 and level 2 exam
Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP), USA (2011-2012)
o Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM), cleared both levels in first attempt

Job Experience (4 years)
JP Morgan and Chase (22 months)
Application Developer
Worked on Trading Applets and Risk management applications like stress testing and what if scenarios
Credit Suisse (20 months)
Business Analyst
Worked on Data enrichment validation and sub ledger system and global strategic projects
Won individual excellence award
Headstrong Capital Makrket (6 months + current)
Client : Barclays Capital, Singapore
Business Analyst for their valuation, settlement and subledger systems

GMAT Expected
Total : 700/720
Quant : 50/51
verbal 36/37

Strong Recommendations and highly motivated for MFE

guys i need sum help! i got admits from Rutgers(MQF) and UNCC( Math Finance). How good is the MQF program at Rutgers? i seem to get different reviews!! and im awaiting gtech (qcf) decision.. but i need to finalize Rutgers before the 25th of march. can someone tell me abt the program at Rutgers (masters of quantitative finance).

I don't know a whole lot about Rutgers, but I'm currently at UNCC and Rutgers is much more recognized. Whatever you do, don't go to UNCC. It has nothing to offer.

Hi All,

I am considering MSF/MFE in US or UK. Here is my brief profile:

Indian, Male, 28
GRE: 170 Quant, 160 Verbal, 3.5 AWA
TOEFL: 116/120

Undergrad (Engineering - 4 years):
- B. Tech. in Information Technology (similar to Computer Science) from College of Engineering, Pune (below IITs but in top 20-25 engineering colleges in India)
- 8.47/10 CGPA
- Had four math courses (Math-I, Math-II, Math-III, Math-IV): 10/10, 8/10, 8/10, 6/10 in the four courses
- Programming courses (C, C++, Unix programming, SQL, Matlab): 8/9/10 on all courses
- Final year project: Digital Watermarking using face recognition (in Matlab)

Post-grad (MBA - 2 years):
- MBA from Indian Institute of Management (IIM)
- CGPA 3.13/4.33
- Subjects: Quantitative Techniques I, Quantitative Techniques II, Quantitative Techniques III (3.2/4.33, 4.13/4.33, 3.3/4.33), Finance I (3.2/4.33), Finance II (2.9/4.33)

Relevant work-experience:
2.4 years post-MBA as Analyst in Credit risk function in one of the reputed US MNC Investment Banks (in India)

Other details:
- CFA L1 cleared
- Secretary of one of the committees in IIM, responsible for interfacing with the industry
- Head of the department magazine group in under-grad
- Selected for 2nd round of Astronomy Olympiad in India

I am considering following colleges:
Baruch, UCB, CMU (Computational Finance), NYU Courant (Math Fin), Columbia (FE), Princeton (MS Fin), Cornell (MEng, FE concentration), Columbia (MathFin), Georgia Tech (QCF), MIT Sloan (Master of Finance), London Business School (Masters in Finance), Cambridge Judge (Master of Finance), Oxford: Saïd (MSc Financial Economics)

Could you please advise on which are safe, moderate and ambitious colleges out of the above?

Thanks in Advance!
@barbie @Andy Nguyen @rnvpx @IntoDarkness @mhy @pingu @xugouzi

Hi
I am from a well ranked state university with a GPA of 2.8 , quant score of 170 and verbal score of 158 with decent extracurriculars. What are my chances of getting into Rutgers, Georgia Tech and NC state?

Hi,

Applying for UCB MFE program for 2021. Kindly evaluate my profile:

1) Masters (2012): Duke University GPA: 3.75/4
2) Bachelors (2008): Delhi Technological University 70.54%

Total Work Experience: 9.5 years

a) Relevant Work Experience (Market Risk, Credit Risk, Derivatives Pricing Model): 7 years

b) Software Development: 2.5 years

Major assignments include:

1) SABR Calibration, Hull White One-Factor Model Validation, VaR Model Validation for US and Japanese Banks using Python and QuantLib
2) CDS Pricing for a Japanese Bank using Python and QuantLib
3) Development of FRTB Market Risk Charge Calculator using Python
4) SACCR (Standardised Approach for Counterparty Credit Risk) modelling using R for Indian Banking client at Big 4
5) Development of PnL Attribution System for a US Bank using Core Java and Oracle 11g
6) Model Validation of Commodity Derivatives for a major US Bulge-Bracket Investment Bank
7) LIBOR/Swap Curve Construction, Valuation of OTC Derivatives using Bloomberg and Excel for Big 4
8) Development of Credit Risk Models using Excel for Middle East Banks
9) Standard IT Software Development using Core Java for a US Credit Card firm

GRE Score: Quant 169 Verbal 160

I believe TOEFL would be waived as I already have a Masters degree from Duke University

It will be great if someone can provide me urgent feedback/review on the basis of this profile as I am targeting the January Deadline

FYI: I am only applying for UCB MFE program

Back