• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

mav,
I suggest that you head over to the Baruch forum Baruch College - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum and take a look at the profiles of the people admitted last year, see who has a similar profile to yours and take note of what accomplishments that may got him accepted.

Goodluck, the process is stressful but hope you come out successful.

Hi everyone, I'm a long time reader but first time poster.
This coming fall, I will be applying to all of the top 10 schools rated in 2009 QuantNetwork Ranking, with particular interest in MFin @ Princeton, MSFE @ Columbia, and MSCF @ CMU.

Education
Bachelor of Math, expected April 2011, Univ of Waterloo (Canada)
GPA to date: 3.89/4.00
Total Quantitative Courses expected to have taken by graduation: 30
Total Programming Courses: 3
Total Finance/Accounting/Econ Courses: 10
(course here spans 1 school term, which lasts 4 months each)

Quantitative Courses (main topics)
Calculus I – IV
Linear Algebra I, II
Probability & Statistics
Linear Regression Modeling, Forecasting
Mathematical Optimization
Group, Ring, Field Theory
Real Analysis
Measure Theory & Fourier Analysis
Measure & Integration Theory
Differential Geometry
Algebraic Topology
Ordinary Differential Equations I, II
Computational Mathematics
Functional Analysis
Stochastic Processes
Partial Differential Equations I

Programming Courses
Programming Principles I, II (used Java)
Numeric Computation for Financial Modeling (MATLAB)

Finance Courses
Microeconomics, Macroeconomics
Financial, Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Corporate Finance I, II
Asset-Liability Management

Computer Skills
Very basic Java, C++. Somewhat adept at Matlab.

Work Experience
Summer research related to optimization under a prof. Will be doing something directly related to computational finance this coming summer under another prof.

GRE (yet to be taken, but expect 800Q 500-700V (native English speaker but suck at taking those tests))

Questions:
  1. I have no industry work experience, so I am assuming my chances with MFin Princeton are nil. What about the other programs?
  2. I am worried about programming. I’ll be doing intensive Matlab stuff this summer, but not much C++. I should go pick up a C++ book in the master reading list and work through it right?
  3. What are my chances and any suggestions for improvements?

Thank you very much, and best of luck to everyone.

@wlyeung:
I'm pretty much in your situation except I graduate in 2012. From what I've been hearing on this board, you are probably right in the need to focus on the programming side. I think the math is more than enough, but you might want to brush up on C++, and maybe learn VBA on your own in you have time.

Good Luck :)

@goodstudent:
hey thanks for the advice, i looked at your profile and ours indeed concur a lot in the quantitative parts. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about brushing up programming? Many programming books I've attempted to go through just seem impenetrable not because of the difficulty, but rather wordiness and taking too long to get to interesting stuff, unlike math books (at least the classic ones). It'd be really nice to get some recommendations from you for some books to use as a self-study course for C++ and VBA as you suggested.

Chances for admission to Baruch

Undergraduate: B.Tech Chemical Engineering at IIT Delhi (Rank 1 in India)
CGPA(7.55 on 10)- Final semester remaining

Certifications:

Certified by the National Stock Exchange in
1)Derivative Market (88%) 2)Capital Markets (97%) 3)Mutual Funds (94%) 4)Currency Derivatives (98%) 5)Options Strategies (100%)

Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate RABQSA- Completed

CFA level 1- June 2010

Internships:
Reliance Industries Limited (largest Refinery in Asia)
Deutsche Bank (Six sigma project)
Cornerstone Wealth Management (technical analyst for equity market)

GRE General test: 1530 (Quant 800, Verbal 730), AW 4.5

TOEFL iBT: 113

Research work:

1) simulation of level of choline in the brain
2) simulation of polymer contact angle- using Monte Carlo simulation
3) thermodynamic analysis of catalytic cracking...(need to solve a few non linear DE)

lots of use of C++ and Matlab

@goodstudent:
hey thanks for the advice, i looked at your profile and ours indeed concur a lot in the quantitative parts. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about brushing up programming? Many programming books I've attempted to go through just seem impenetrable not because of the difficulty, but rather wordiness and taking too long to get to interesting stuff, unlike math books (at least the classic ones). It'd be really nice to get some recommendations from you for some books to use as a self-study course for C++ and VBA as you suggested.

I'm not sure I can help you too much since I'm also more of a math guy than programming. But I sent you a PM.

How to proceed forward

Here are my current stats:

Major: Economics
Minor: Mathematics
GPA 3.93/4.00
Math & Econ GPA: 4.00/4.00
Hunter College CUNY

Math courses:
Calc I, II & III
Linear Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Probability Theory (audited)

Quant Econ:
Statistics for Economics
Econometrics

I just graduated this month but would like to take more math courses, probably to finish up the equivalent of a bachelors in math. However, I am not sure if it is worth it for me to take the courses at my current institution, being that it is not competitive. It is however very cheap. But am I better off investing the money and taking courses at NYU or Columbia? Or should I complete a second BA at my current institution and maybe apply to a Masters in Math at a more well known program?

I would like to have the opportunity to apply to one of more selective programs in Fin Eng or Mathematical Finance. Any advice on practical ways to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Hope someone can evaluate my profile and give some advice:

A Ph.D (7 years) in EE from Michigan State University. Research focussed on networking and signal processing, but with a signficant dose of discrete math, optimization and time series analysis.
1 Year postdoc at University of California Santa Cruz.
I have published about 40 international publications in this domain, have won a few awards including the most outstanding graduating student from MSU, a couple of paper awards and coveted teaching award.
A year back had to move to India and its been rough here. 7 months exp at Philips research and couple more months at TCS. The work is not very mathematical or doenst not provide great growth prospects either, so I am considering move back to US, and along with a move that I have contemplated for long, i.e. a move to being a quant.
My GRE scores from long back are: A:780, Q:800, V:560.
The only place I will be applying would be Baruch on account of financial constraints. Any feedback on my chances of getting into that program and my chances of getting a good placement afterwards would be really helpful.

Rolly,

do you have any programming (specifically C++) or finance experience? You will have to have one of those to be considered a very strong applicant. Besides that, your background is very good fitting to Baruch MFE.

As of getting a good placement afterward - nobody can guarantee that. Baruch's program staff doing everything possible and beyond that to help graduates and alumni get jobs. Market is tough now, I'm sure you know. However, it seems to start getting better, and maybe by the time you graduate it will be much easier here.

Good luck!

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Ezra,

In addition to your profile you will need to have some courses in probability and programming (C++, Java).

Don't rush to take courses in NYU, Columbia etc. Take an advantage of your location in New York. Attend informational sessions at programs you are aiming to. Schedule appointments with directors of these programs. They will give you an advice what do you need to do and what courses you should take (if any) to be a competitive applicant.

Take the GRE, make sure you have a perfect Quant score.

Good luck!

Please evaluate my chances for admission to the Baruch MFE program

please evaluate my chances for admission to the Baruch MFE program

Undergraduate: B.Tech Chemical Engineering at IIT Delhi (Rank 1 in India)
CGPA(7.55 on 10)- Final semester remaining

Certifications:

Certified by the National Stock Exchange in
1)Derivative Market (88%) 2)Capital Markets (97%) 3)Mutual Funds (94%) 4)Currency Derivatives (98%) 5)Options Strategies (100%)

Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate RABQSA- Completed

CFA level 1- June 2010

Internships:
Reliance Industries Limited (largest Refinery in Asia)
Deutsche Bank (Six sigma project)
Cornerstone Wealth Management (technical analyst for equity market)

GRE General test: 1530 (Quant 800, Verbal 730), AW 4.5

TOEFL iBT: 113

Research work:

1) simulation of level of choline in the brain
2) simulation of polymer contact angle- using Monte Carlo simulation
3) thermodynamic analysis of catalytic cracking...(need to solve a few non linear DE)

lots of use of C++ and Matlab

Thanx

Anshul Anand,

You have a very strong profile. The only thing is missing I don't see what Math courses you have taken during your study. MFE is a very quantitatively intense program and strong background in Probability, Calculus, Differential Equations etc is a must. It will be close to impossible to learn Stochastic Calculus, for example, if you don't have strong base in math.

Good luck!

Maxrum thanks for that feedback.

I do have some C++ experience, i.e. I have implemented number of optimization, signal processing and machine learning algorithms.

Almost no finance experience. Have been reading up books. I could always study for CFA level 1, but that would imply I have to wait till 2011 to apply.

Please evaluate me....

Hi All.....

Pls evaluate my profile and suggest what else i have to do to get into a gud MFE school...

Experience:- Working for one of the most reputed Indian IT firms for last +2 years in automation testing (Banking Product)

Graduation Percentage:- 80% in Information Technology (Engineering) + Professional Student of Company Secretary (Economics+Law+Accounting - In Progress)

GRE:- 1250

TOFEL:- 90

Certifications:-
National Stock Exchange Certified in Derivatives Module and Securities Market Module
Java Sun Certified Programmer

Can you please elaboratore on your GRE scores and the schools you are aiming for ?

Hi Dibbs....

Am looking for admission in the below mentioned schools......

Columbia University
Cornell University
University of California at Berkeley
Carnegie Mellon University
Cornell University
Baruch College
Georgia Institute of Technology

University of Michigan
University of Southern California
Florida State University
NYU Polytechnic Institute
Boston University

Pls suggest me what are my chances of getting into schools with RED marked and chances of getting admission in GREEN marked schools....

Also, pls suggest if I need to take up CFA/FRM/any other like courses for getting an admission into GREEN marked schools ??? ....also am very much passionate about doing my MFE....Please suggest me what others things add milage for my admission....and pls suggest the job prospects after completion of course in the RED marked colleges.....

Detailed GRE Score: 1250 (790 Q+ 460 V)

Regards,
Pzazz

Low profile MFE program ( Low GRE score )

Hi everybody,

I am trying to understand if I have ANY chances to get into an MFE program, given my very low academic profile.

I studied Nuclear Engineering and I always did well ( GPA 3.9 ).

However, my GRE quant score is 709.

I think I'll never get more than that, simply because I can't make calculations in my head.
I have always (easily) dealt with heavy mathematics, but... I just can't make simple arithmetic in my head.
Therefore I am doomed to perform poorly on the GRE.

Is there any MFE that would ever accept somebody with such a low profile?

I'd be also interested in a PhD in the same field, but the problem is the same: the GRE!!!

Thank you very much,

Faylene Frye

Guys, this might not be the right place to ask, but I am desparate to know.

I have GRE Q790, V370, A4.0. BS in Computer Engineering from a US University with a GPA of 3.97 and A's in my MATH courses.

What schools should I apply to for MFE. I was thinking about Baruch, Boston, and Kent.

Please let me know.

However, my GRE quant score is 709.

I think I'll never get more than that, simply because I can't make calculations in my head.
I have always (easily) dealt with heavy mathematics, but... I just can't make simple arithmetic in my head.
You may have a typo. GRE is in incremental of 10 points so you either meant a 710 or 790 but not 709.
I'm not sure what i can offer in term of helping you overcome this mental huddle. Practice makes perfect.
Maybe talk to a GRE consultant who may coach you specific way to do better.

That's the same kind of problem you will face in quantitative interview at some point, such as what is the answer for 1000000 minus 19.

Hi Andy and the rest of you as well,

I am new to this forum and I have applied to a couple of colleges for MFE.

My GRE scores are 790Q, 370V, and 4.0A. I have a great undergrad gpa with a BS in Computer Engineering from a US university. I have A's in my math courses. I am also expecting good recommendations.

I have applied to Kent, Boston, & Baruch. Given your experience, what do you think my chances are.

Bye!

Back