• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

I am interested in entering the MSFM program at U of Chicago an was hoping someone here might be able to give me some idea of whether I should bother applying with the following qualifications:

BS Biomedical Engineering (USNews top 75), GPA 3.44
MS Electrical Engineering (same institution), GPA 3.53
GRE: 800 quantitative, 530 verbal

Math/math-related courses include:
Differential, Integral, Vector and Variational Calculus
Complex Analysis
Linear Algebra
Linear/Nonlinear Systems Analysis
Analysis of Random Variables
Statistical Signal Processing
Statistical Pattern Recognition
Partial Differential Equations

Programming proficiencies:
C++, Matlab, Python, Perl, Java, R

Experience:
Four years of academic research involving a lot of control theory, signal processing, data analysis and programming

Thanks

Stats look good but I cannot comment further.
Still, you missed the deadline for 2011 class.
And you may need GRE and GRE Math depending on when you graduated undergrad.

Thanks for the input. I was aware that I missed the deadline for this coming fall; I am really just starting to look into this seriously. I completed my BS in 2006 and they would therefore not require me to take the GRE; however I did take the general test (scores listed in my previous post) and would take the math test anyway if I did decide to apply. But at this point, I am really just in the process of deciding whether I want to basically throw away my current MS and start a new program--and if so, what schools would be realistic options for me.

Hello,
I am thinking to apply for 2011-2012 MFE program. I am a PhD in Engineering (State Univ) and hold MS and BS in Applied Mathematics from another country. My GPA is perfect, but I haven't taken GRE yet. I guess I might need to take TOEFL as well since I didn't do indergrad in US. Another problem that I finished my PhD a year a ago, and do not have a job yet. And most probably I won't have any in the next couple of years. What should I do to maximize my chances if there are any.
Related courses are
Statistics
Probability Theory and Stochastic Processes
Methods of Applied Mathematics
Mathematical Analysis
Ordinary Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Computational Mathematics
Numerical Methods

I know Matlab, C++, Fortran, SAS

Thank you

query regarding reporting toefl scores

hi, i have a quick question. I have recently reported my TOEFL scores to several colleges. But what worries me is that i have reported to the correct colleges(the correct college codes) but selected the school type as graduate school of management! :( do i have to resend my scores?? I am applying for financial engineering and related courses in Rutgers , Baruch, Gtech, etc.

was accepted to rutgers recently with the following (just in case anyone has a similar profile)

790/610/4 (gre)
3.5 graduate gpa
bs in math
finishing ms in math
both from a no-name university.
had strong letters of recommendation i think.
no work experience outside of teaching math. taught 6 classes last semester and teaching 8 this semester in addition to a full masters course load and working on masters thesis (not included in course work).

i did send in an explanation of the courses i had taken and what specifically i had covered in them. also a break down of my undergraduate grades semester by semester. my gpa the last two years of undergrad was ~3.9. first two years was ~1.7. took grad courses my last year of undergrad study.

i have a 690 gmat ( 48 q, 37 v) with 6 months internship exp in finance. BE telecom, strong math concepts and work exp at tata for 1.5 yrs . what re my chances with rutgers?

hi, i have a quick question. I have recently reported my TOEFL scores to several colleges. But what worries me is that i have reported to the correct colleges(the correct college codes) but selected the school type as graduate school of management! :( do i have to resend my scores?? I am applying for financial engineering and related courses in Rutgers , Baruch, Gtech, etc.

i went through the same for gre scores. email your dept contact and ask them who received the toefl/gre scores. usually it is one office for each college and then the college sends the scores down to individual depts. contact that particular person and just request them to forward the score to the appropriate dept. dont pay for the scores to be sent again. given the date already, i would suggest calling just to expedite the process.

Hi thanks so much for the reply Cj.

I am applying for the quantitative Finance program. I am from India. I have 62% in my under grad, 690 GMAT. at present i am working with TCS.

not sure if this gets me into trouble -- andy (or other mods) feel free to delete the post if deemed something inappropriate.

14 people were accepted to the mqf program at rutgers on jan 5 (i am assuming the first wave). 12 chinese (from mainland china). 1 indian. 1 american. 8 or 9 females, i cant remember exactly.

dont know anything else about them - their scores etc.

not sure if this gets me into trouble -- andy (or other mods) feel free to delete the post if deemed something inappropriate.

14 people were accepted to the mqf program at rutgers on jan 5 (i am assuming the first wave). 12 chinese (from mainland china). 1 indian. 1 american. 8 or 9 females, i cant remember exactly.

dont know anything else about them - their scores etc.
No, this is the kind of information we want to have on our site ;)

okay! well am i late for my applications?? i just mailed my packages, it should all reach them in a week max.

what documents did you have to mail in? im in the us so dont know what international students have to mail in. either way, do you have access to a camera or better yet a scanner? send them scans of the paperwork and send a signed letter saying that you stand by whatever you send them via email. that way at least they have something on file and can at least give your file a preliminary look pending actual documents coming in through the mail. i did this with bu and cornell and the admissions people i spoke with seemed ok with it. better ask for forgiveness for being too forward/eager than complain about a decision because they didnt get to snail mail in time.

well we guys will have to email our transcripts and financial documents. i submitted my application today and reported my toefl scores last week, gmat scores shudve reached them by now! deadline is the 15th of March. so am i sending out my app's a bit late?? and how re my chances in colleges like gtech and USC. i am not able to figure out who the faculty for the FE program in UCS wud be!! the website doesnt give out too much info.

Chances for MFE Admission

I'm currently a college senior, and I've been applying to MSF programs. My interests and experience make the MSF a good choice for me, but I'm also thinking about applying to a few MFE programs, mostly because there aren't that many MSFs at top schools. My interests would probably be seen as "quant" from an MSF perspective, but not as quantitative from an MFE perspective.

Of the schools I've already applied to, my top choice is MIT, but I know how competitive their admission standards are. I've only taken the GMAT, so I'm only looking at schools that don't require GRE (namely CMU, Baruch, Rutgers, and Boston University) I have no programming experience, but I'm currently enrolled in a Java class. Based on this, and my stats, is it worth the time to applying to programs like Baruch and CMU? BU only requires "basic programming knowledge".

Undergrad: Top 20 State School
Major: Finance; Minors: Mathematics, Economics
GPA: 3.63
GMAT: 760 (49Q, 44V)
Internship w/ insurance company since this past summer
Multiple leadership/extracurriculars
Math courses: 3 semesters of calculus, 1 semester each of differential equations, linear algebra, probability, econometrics

Thanks for any input.

Chances for MFE @ Baruch College

I have applied for MFE program at Baruch College

My profile is:
MBA from a state university, Major: Finance
Undergrad in Civil Engineering
Waiting for CFA level 1 results
Plan to appear for level 2 CFA & level 1 FRM exams
GMAT: 660 with 51/51 on quantitative section
Work experience: approximately 4 years
Have taken lot of maths and one C++ programming courses at undergrad level.
Strong finance knowledge at grad level and CFA level 1 program.

I think I wrote strong essays with clear view of my future goals. My recommenders were 2 academic and 1 professional which I don't think would really help me but even harm at the same time. Do you think I have a chance of getting an interview/admission at Baruch college?

@sagardalia
Your profile seems decent. The point about harmful recommendation is very interesting. Why do you say it? And why did you pick them in the first place?
In general, letters of recommendation do not sway opinion a lot because most of the time they are very neutral and passive. Very rarely they are off-the-chart enthusiastic which is a HUGE PLUS. At the same time, if they are noticeably negative, it's a real downer for you because people don't go out of their way to say something bad about you when they are asked to write "something good" about you.

The positive thing? You won't have to wait long to learn your fate like other program. Baruch MFE has an average of 44 days turn around time based on our Tracker.

Back