• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

sagardalia, what's your working experience? If you have worked for 4 years in financial service, it would be excellent. Good grades in math and C++ courses are helpful to prove your quantitative abilities.

Hi,

I am a mechanical engg from University of Mumbai, India. I am interested in pursuing a Masters program in Quant based financial engg.

My GRE score is Q750, V560 AWA 3.0
and TOEFl score is 100 (R22, L26, S24, W28)

I am also taking CFA Level 1 this June.
And besides it, I have an experience of 1 year in a Mfg. Industry, as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Godrej&Boyce, was in-charge of an assembly line.

I know I don't have anything brief to talk about my background as in finance specific but still I am considering following schools to apply,
1. UMich
2. Boston U
3. Viterbi
4. GaTech

If you can put forth your valued views I'll be more than grateful.

Thank You

@sanjay
You will have a hard time selling your case to any decent program, even those you select above. Q750 is a BAD score. The other scores (AWA, TOEFL) do not help either. Retake the tests and try next year.

To be real, you will be into some program out there, but whoever admits you is not very competitive and that may not help with your career at all.

@sanjay
You will have a hard time selling your case to any decent program, even those you select above. Q750 is a BAD score. The other scores (AWA, TOEFL) do not help either. Retake the tests and try next year.

To be real, you will be into some program out there, but whoever admits you is not very competitive and that may not help with your career at all.

What's a good verbal score tho? I got Q800 and V630. A4.0
I am planning taking it again to improve the V and A. How much do you think it would help?

@sanjay

Well thank you Andy, I appreciate your view. But trying again next year is kind of difficult for me. I am sure that there might be few competitive programs who would appreciate my background for I have interned in a Fortune 500 Indian Petroleum Company and worked in one of the largest Mfg. firm in India. But both were oriented towards a good mechanical engg. career. Apart from it I have a long list of extra curricular activities and major chunk of it forms my philanthropic initiatives. My interest in finance only came when I took casual trading seriously, that's when I was beginning to understand the dynamics of markets and their driving factors, that's what fascinated me.

If you think I can't make it in any of my listed universities can you advice me selecting a right program? Which can be compared to though not literally but to an extent where knowledge is comparable. Learning is more important to me.

Chances for MFE Admission

Hi Andy,
You seem to be very active in this thread .
I just registered with QuantNet and very curious to know my chances to break in to top 20 universities for MFE in US acc. to the Quant net ratings.
Here are my credentials :
I have done my B.Tech in Information technology from a reputed engg. college in India.
Working with Bank of America as senior Tech Associate for two years (equity research Technologies , fidessa development)
Good domain knowledge (finance) ..
Undergone Banking Certifications ...
Passed my CFA Level 1 certification.
My Gre Score is 790 Quant and 600 Verbal ... AWA 3.5
Can u please tell my chances to crack calls from these universities .....

@ Andy - Thanks for your suggestion. I feel a lot better now with some positive response about my profile. :) I wasn't really sure about how one of my recommendor would write about me. Plus I was really applying on short notice here so didn't get too much time to contact the best people to write a letter for me.
@ Simon - My work experience of 4 years was mostly related to accounting plus technical stuff from my undergrad years both full time and part time. Took couple undergrad programming classes (no work experience with programming yet). I already have degree in engineering, have finished MBA and just got good news that I cleared my CFA level 1, GMAT of 660 with Quantitative score of 51/51. Do I need to show more of my analytical and financial knowledge (and passion too) to strengthen my chances here.

Thank you both Andy & Simon for your responses.

Can someone please review this application profile ?

BS Actuarial Mathematics
Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
MS Quantitative Methods and Modeling (Baruch)
MS Statistics (Baruch)

GRE Verbal: 650 Quant: 800

Experience:
equity research analyst (internship)
marketing (finance internship)
Actuary (strong focus on derivatives to minimize risk)

I know this is not a deep profile but would love some feedback

@princeton man : you already have two masters. What are you applying to?

GRE Subject Test Math to compensate for poor math grades

Hi,

I have a bachelor degree in electronics engineering from Indian Institute of Technolgy. I have a GPA of 3.2/4 and I am looking to pursue MFE from a top US University. The problem is that I have really poor grades in first year math courses I took during my undergraduate studies. Anyway, all that is past. Since graduation, I have passed the CFA level 1 exam and hoping to earn Professional Risk Manager designation sometime later next year. My question is - Will a good score in GRE Mathematics subject test compensate for my poor performance in undergraduate math courses or should I give up the idea of making it to a good US school.

Thanks !

My chances at rutgers for msqf program.

i recently had my scores converted by WES. Its a 3.34/4 with a consistent 4 in mathematics during all semesters. i have a gmat score of 690(q 48, v 37), 1.5 yrs of work experience, 6 months relevant internship experience in finance . what are my chances at Rutgers for the MSQF program? (TOEFL: 107(R 23,L 26,W 29, S 29)) i have a Bachelors degree in telecommunication engineering.

My Chances??

Bachelors of Business in Financial Management and Accounting(High Distinction) 2010 from Australian University.
Core Finance units:

-Corporate Finance
-Investments and Portfolio management
-International Financial Management
-Financial Risk management
-Financial Instruments

Zero industry experience in finance.
If anyone may suggest what needs to be my steps to get into quant?
My personal plan is as follows:
-Enrol in a year long programming course C++, OO programming
-join MQF or Masters in Financial mathematics (MFE is not available in Australia as far as I know.)
-keep looking for a full time job.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Peace!!

Would you please give me some advice?

Undergraduate: Math/Applied Science-Management and Accounting at UCLA, with a specialization in Computing (C++/Java...)

GPA:3.35(Cumulative)/3.48 Major Upper division Math

Math: 2 courses in real analysis, 2 courses in numerical analysis, linear algebra, combinatorics, probability theory, mathematical statistics, financial mathematics, Algorithms, PDE...

CFA Level 2 candidate for june 2011, FRM part 1 in May

Work Experience:14 months in IT Consulting at Accenture. 1/2 yr in telecommunication (Software QA), currently working for a financial services company (Software Engineer) on investment management for 401k.

My GPA is lower than the avg in most top MFE programs. I am most concerned with this... :( Would you please comment on my chance in getting into a MFE program? The schools that I want to get in are berkeley, UCLA, baruch...

Thank you

Admission help

Hi, would you please evaluate my profile
I'm applying for US universities for fall 2011
Bachelor in applied math from one of the well known universities of Iran, GPA 2.6
I have taken all the prereq. FE math, statistics and computer courses in undergrad.
Master of industrial engineering and system management from Iran GPA 3.5
Related courses of Master are Math modeling, Economy, econometrics
TOEFL (ibt) 82
GRE Q780, Verbal300, writing no sure yet
One year computer programming experience in USA (still work there) C#, C, C++, SQL
6 months of experience in finance, and my master dissertation was in financial risk
CFA level I candidate for June 2011
I know my profile is not attractive for the top US universities. But does anyone know any university that would accept me?
Thank you in advanced for your time.

Bachelor in applied math from one of the well known universities of Iran, GPA 2.6
I have taken all the prereq. FE math, statistics and computer courses in undergrad.

Master of industrial engineering and system management from Iran GPA 3.5
Related courses of Master are Math modeling, Economy, econometrics

What is the maximum GPA there? 2.6 and 3.5 out of 4.0 or 4.3?

The conversion I made is out of 4. However Iran's grading system is 0-20 like france
The better scale I can portrait is F-A+ scale
so bachelor is C and master is A.
Tstone, Thank you for your consideration.

I personally would search for some MFE programs not in the top 10 universities at this moment. It's beneficial that you have such programming background. You Master's GPA is very good but in transcript the Bachelor will look a bit harming. But to be honest, I'm not very aware of this issue -I mean matching the profiles to possible universities. People more involved in this who have more knowledge will help. Anyway Good Luck

Please Feel free to comment on my profile. I really appreciate any advice by viewers.
Thank you.

Back