• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

I have a question. I scored Q800 V630 AWA 4.0 the first time. And I have been preparing for a second run this year (already registered). Getting a V700+ is my goal. How much does the verbal score help? The primary motives for me to take another GRE is I don't have a good GPA (Currently 3.1, I didn't really study for the first 2 years, I got a 3.9 semester last fall. hoping to bump the average up to 3.5, I am in my junior year BTW, ) and much work experience - only one month in a regional branch doing basically chores. I am now having second thoughts about this whole thing. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Benefit from an increase from V630 would be minimal and your focus would be getting AWA to at least 4.5
When your score reach a certain level, any increase will not change your profile in any meaningful way. I would value an applicant with 550V, 5AWA, 115 TOEFL more than someone with 700V, 3.5AWA, 100 TOEFL.

If I were you, I would spend time reevaluating the career goal and if this is something I want to do the rest of my life instead of chasing some verbal score that will be of little value to my career.

@arvin
There are plenty of programs will accept you, that's not an issue. The question is how those programs will server your career in the short and long term. Short term, how it will prepare you for internship and first job in this competitive market. Long term, how it will prepare you for a technically demanding and rapidly changing field.
And just because you want to do a program doesn't mean you can do anything with a degree. You need to specify the location and the niche that you will best grow.

hi guys,

just wanted to check what chances my profile stand for top 10 mfe programs.

undergrad from top school in India: IIT Delhi, major maths & computing
four year of work experience for quant trading desks at Merrill Lynch and big hedge fund

GPA: 5.6/10
GRE: Q 800/V480/AW 2.5

As most people will tell you, You did not give enough information for review. The Ad com will also look at your essay(s), recommendations, Resume, grades...
But your AWA is REALLY low!!!

thanks AlexandraH.... I know my AW is really very low..I was very surprised when I first saw. Now my concern is whether this along with GPA becomes rejection point. I believe my essay is decent enough and my work experience is in quantitative side plus also strong OO programming skills(in college plus first job). My recommendations are good one from professor of applied maths from my school and other 2 from Morgan stanley and bofa merrill lynch.

lonely said:
hi guys,

just wanted to check what chances my profile stand for top 10 mfe programs.

undergrad from top school in India: IIT Delhi, major maths & computing
four year of work experience for quant trading desks at Merrill Lynch and big hedge fund

GPA: 5.6/10
GRE: Q 800/V480/AW 2.5​
What type of job are you looking for? You have four years work experience on quant trading desks. Where would an MFE take you that that experience wouldn't already?

more or less similar job...I am based out of Mumbai , India. Thinking of moving to new york soon, cant get through my desk , hence mfe route

@lonely
I have seen quite a bit of profiles like you who are working for DE Shaw and big BB. It's not until further inspection that I realize they work for the Indian branches of the banks. It's fair to say the level of sophistication in the US desks are much higher but you have really relevant work experience there, compared to your Indian fellows who intern and work at Infotech, Wipro, Infosys, etc.

Your best bet if you don't want to redo the GRE is to play up your work experience and use it as your biggest advantage. Some programs that do interviews like CMU MSCF, Baruch MFE would give you a better chance to show your level of English i.e if you pass the initial screening.

Thanks Andy. Re-doing gre now too late..I have full time job and applying for fall 2011 programs. I got reject from baruch today (without interview call). I am going now down the rank in program like Gatech, Boston Univ, Purdue. I have some good contacts in NYC which hopefully would help in getting job. So my goal is to get in mfe program atleast univ name should be decent even if their program is low ranked. For job I can go through networking and contacts, so I am reasonably confident about job prospect but main goal is getting admission. My contacts are unable to get me hire directly from here as they said very tough to justify their hr etc. given the scene in post crisis- world now.

Also in toefl writing I have 26/30, not sure if that can somewhat help my gre aw 2.5

Does the GRE AWA really matter? Say a 3.0 AWA would have tiny chance of getting into any decent financial math program? How are the verbal part? I heard that Columbia only choose from the students who have GRE score higher than 1400 and GPA higher than 3.7/4.0. Is there much of difference between a 1380 and a 1400 GRE score? I thought the percentile is the point.

@Hollyxue

There is no such cut off in Columbia, I know people with lower score who were admitted to Columbia MFE

Can someone please review this application profile ?
University of Washington. Major in Economics, minor in Mathematics, Aiming for FE programs of next year, 3.70/4.00 GPA, graduating this spring quarter...

So far I've taken...

Math & Stat:
- Calculus I II III
- Multivariable Calculus
- Diff Equation
- Matrix Algebra
- Linear Analysis
- Elementary Statistics Method
- Probability Theory
- Mathematical Statistics
- Math Reasoning
- Econometrics

Programming:
- Econometrics: R, Excel
- Mathematical Stat: R
- Applied Math, Beginning of Scientific Computing: Matlab

Intern:
- Had an intern at a tax and financial consulting firm in LA

Next quarter will be my last one. Therefore I have limited freedom to choose classes. Here are my options for next quarter, however, I can only choose one from:
1. Mathematical Biology: Stochastic Models
2. Statistical Computing: involve C++
So, WHICH ONE is better?

What are my chances to get into a FE program, what tier? Evaluation of my profile?

Thank you for your comments.

both of them counts a lot, personal opinion stochastic models is more important, but you'd better know C++

Hi Guys ,
Can anyone please review my profile and tell me my chances to make in to top 10 universities for MFE in US

I have done my B.Tech in Information technology from a reputed engg. college in India (VIT Vellore) with a CGPA of 9.1/10 .
So far I've taken...
Math & Stat:
- Calculus and Analysis
- Linear algerbra and Diff Equation
- Complex Variables and Partial Diff Equations
- Probability , Statistics and Reliability
-Discrete Mathematical Structures

Programming:
- C, C++,Java,Tcl

Working with Bank of America Merill Lynch as Software Engineer for two years (equity research Technologies , fidessa development)

Undergone Banking Certification (Capital Markets and Investment Banking)
Passed my CFA Level 1 certification.
My Gre Score is 790 Quant and 600 Verbal ... AWA 3.5
Can u please tell my chances to crack calls from these universities .....

Hello guys,

A while ago I posted my profile and received fairly positive outlook, but now that I'm in the middle of the application process, I'd like to get some extra feedback just to know what to expect... Here it goes:

GPA: 3.95/4.00 Top 50 US University, Highest Honors (right now at least)
Major: Economics,Operations Research (4.0 on both)
Minor: Math, Finance
GRE: 800Q/520V/5.0AWA
Extra: 2 years of research experience, minority, 2 strong recommendations

Relevant Coursework:

Math:
Calculus 1 Grade: A
Calculus 2 Grade: A
Calculus 3: Grade: A

Linear Algebra: Grade: A
Ordinary Differential Equations Grade: A
Linear Algebra (Advanced) Grade: B+
Probability Theory Grade: A
Mathematical Statistics Grade: Taking

Math-Related :
Applied Probability Theory & Statistics Grade: A+
Statistical Quality Control Grade: A
Deterministic Modeling Grade: A
Stochastic Modeling Grade: A+
Applied Econometrics Grade: A
Mathematical Economics Grade: A
Econometrics (PhD Level) Grade: A+
Mathematical Economics II (PhD Level) Grade: Taking
Advanced Econometrics (PhD Level) Grade: Taking

Finance:
Introductory Finance Grade: A

Corporate Financial Management Grade: A
Investments & Securities Markets Grade: A+
Derivatives & Speculative Markets Grade: A

Programming:
One course in C++ Grade: A+
One course in VBA & Applications Grade: A+

+ A bunch of business courses in accounting, business law, etc…

Ideas? Thanks!

Hi All,

I am a passout from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),Kanpur and am currently working with a finance startup firm in india as a Quantitative analyst. I am looking to apply for MFE this year. Following is a brief about my profile:

Work Experience:

1. Current Firm: Working on valuation/pricing of various kinds of Interest rate/Currency, Overnight, Basis swaps. Worked on Hull White 1 Factor model to price Range Accrual and Callable swaps.
  1. Previously firm: around 3 years of software development Experience in IT firm.

Education:
  1. B-Tech from IIT Kanpur
  1. Appearing for CFA Level-3 in June'2011.
During my Undergrad, i had done 3 math courses covering Linear Algebra, PDE. In these courses, i got A,B, and C grades.
I have already appeared for GMAT 680 (50 Quant, 34 Verbal)

I am planning to apply Berkeley, NYU, CMU, columbia, Princeton.

I will have the recommendation from my company VP, and from one of the finance professor from a top B-School in USA.

Now i would to like to know your response on the following:
  1. I haven't done any course in particular on Stats and probability as such, but some of it was covered in CFA and rest of the part, i keep on reading as per work requirement. Do i really need to do any course in Stats?
  2. I don't have any big company brand name on my CV, does it really make big difference. I can assure that the quality of the work in my current firm is of very high level.
  3. What else do i need to do to improve my profile.
  4. What are the chances of my getting selected to the above mentioned schools.
Regards

bakait, you have not mentioned your major at IIT and GPA they play big role. As far as these school are concerned..Princeton is very tough to get in...if below 8.5/10 then very very rare chance

Does the GRE AWA really matter? Say a 3.0 AWA would have tiny chance of getting into any decent financial math program? How are the verbal part? I heard that Columbia only choose from the students who have GRE score higher than 1400 and GPA higher than 3.7/4.0. Is there much of difference between a 1380 and a 1400 GRE score? I thought the percentile is the point.

I got into Columbia with less than 1400 and no work experience. (I think it's because they don't look at verbal unless you really bomb it)

Back